- Open VLC
- Select menu item Tools: Preferences
- Select the Input & Codecs section
- Select the Live555 stream transport option RTP over RTSP (TCP)
- Click Save button
By default VLC is configured with a very small caching buffer. This leads to choppy playback that will eventually smooth out over time as VLC automatically increases the size of this buffer. To set the default cache size to a more reasonable value do the following:
- Open VLC
- Select menu item Media: Open Network Stream...
- Select the checkbox Show more options
- Set the Caching value to a higher value such as 1200 ms
- Enter the stream you wish to play in the Please enter a network URL field and click the Play button.
The value that you set will be retained between VLC playback sessions and restarts.
Note: Instructions for VLC version 1.1.x - 2.0.1
- Click here, if you are having problems or would like to discuss this article.
- Leave a comment below, if there is some aspect of this article you would like to see changed or improved.