Thread: Consistant Skipping while Streaming Live to iPhone

Default Consistant Skipping while Streaming Live to iPhone

I am attempting to stream live to iPhone/iPod from Wirecast using Wowza and am having problems with the stream "skipping". The stream starts about 30 sec to 1 min delayed and then randomly jumps back a minute or so and then back forward again a couple minutes later.

The same stream when accessed directly using normal RTMP streams perfectly.

I have tried changing/lowering my bitrate and resolution several times and am currently streaming using:
    H.264 Encoding
    Resolution: 320x240
    Fps: 15
    Bitrate: 140 kbits/s
    Limit Peak Bitrate: OFF
    Profile: Baseline
    Key frame every: 240 frames

AAC Audio Encoding:
    Channels: Stereo
    Target Bitrate: 64 kbits/s
    Sample Rate: 44.100 khz

It is streaming at: http://liveplay.simplecdn.net/ccvnow.../playlist.m3u8

The problem happens on both iPhone and when trying to open the same above stream in Quicktime.

Are there any changes I can make to my streaming setup or configuration to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm playing it on IPhone 3gs ios 4.2 on wifi here, and not experiencing any problem

The encoding parameters look ok except for "Limit Peak Bitrate: OFF". I suggest turning that setting to ON in Wirecast.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 08-23-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Were you able to resolve this? We are also experiencing skipping and repeating with an iOS stream.

We have ran the apple stream validation tool and it appears to be OK. http://streaming.iscmotorsports.com..../playlist.m3u8

Playlist Validation:

OK

Alternate playlist(s):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=89529547
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playlist Validation:

OK

Segments:

OK

Average segment duration: 4.98 seconds
    Average segment bitrate: 303084.36 bps
    Average segment structural overhead: 38241.79 bps (12.62 %)

Quote Originally Posted by bscottdavis View Post
    I am attempting to stream live to iPhone/iPod from Wirecast using Wowza and am having problems with the stream "skipping". The stream starts about 30 sec to 1 min delayed and then randomly jumps back a minute or so and then back forward again a couple minutes later.

The same stream when accessed directly using normal RTMP streams perfectly.

I have tried changing/lowering my bitrate and resolution several times and am currently streaming using:
    H.264 Encoding
    Resolution: 320x240
    Fps: 15
    Bitrate: 140 kbits/s
    Limit Peak Bitrate: OFF
    Profile: Baseline
    Key frame every: 240 frames

AAC Audio Encoding:
    Channels: Stereo
    Target Bitrate: 64 kbits/s
    Sample Rate: 44.100 khz

It is streaming at: http://liveplay.simplecdn.net/ccvnow.../playlist.m3u8

The problem happens on both iPhone and when trying to open the same above stream in Quicktime.

Are there any changes I can make to my streaming setup or configuration to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi racingman,

You'll have to do some systematic troubleshooting to identify where the problem is.

For example:
    1. Test with the VOD application and the sample.mp4 to eliminate network problems. Instructions are in the VOD Tutorial.
    2. Test with a live application and a different encoder such as FMLE, VLC, or FFmpeg. Instructions here.

If #2 is working ok, this would point to a problem with the encoder. Then we can implement other troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

Also, take a look at this article:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rameters-(iOS)

You want a consistent key frame frequency that is a factor of the "cupertinoChunkDurationTarget" setting, which is 10000 (10 seconds) by default.

Richard