Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SimpleVideoStreaming minus form

Default SimpleVideoStreaming minus form

I've got SimpleVideoStreaming working nicely on a test server. In real life applications, the server will typically be the same every time, so I don't want the user to have to enter it; and I'd like to pull the file location out of the URL with simple JSP code and hand the server and file location to Flash.

This has to be a common scenario, so there must be a known and perhaps obvious solution; I'm just not finding it. Thanks for any help.

Wouldn't the application name and the stream name be predictable too? I'm not really understanding what you're trying to accomplish.

-Ian

Simply that I don't want the user to have to fill in form fields. The user should be able to get to the player page with a URL and open the file indicated by a URL parameter.

OK, so if I'm getting this right, you want something like "http://web.serv.er/player.php?video=streamname&width=x&height=y" to generate the proper player page?

That should be pretty simple, you could either render the page using the URL parameters via GET/POST variables dropped into the player code, or make them available to javascript that then pops them into the player instantiation. The former is probably the easier way to do it.

I

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do. It's the specific way of passing those parameters which I'm missing. I know how to extract them from the URL.

Since we're dealing with audio only here, I don't have to worry about width and height, if that makes any difference.

The method of parsing those parameters depends on the web page language you're using. That goes beyond the scope of these forums, though.

Please, I thought I was being sufficiently clear when I said, "I know how to extract them from the URL." I know how to write JSP's.

simplevideostreaming.html does not contain any forms. It calls AC_FL_RunContent with a lot of parameters, none of which are the server or file object. This function is in AC_RunActiveContent.js, which also does not have any forms. It invokes flash with some parameters. Possibly some of these parameters allow me to set the server, application, and stream, but I don't see any information on what they might be.

sorry, I misunderstood the original question. The parameters generally depend on the actual player being used. With JW Player the flashvars are streamer (server/application) and file (stream name)

-Ian

I added the parameters 'streamer', 'rtmp://[myurl]:[port]/vod', 'file', 'mp3:Beacons.mp3', to the call to AC_FL_RunContent, and verified that they're being written by AC_Generateobj, but there's no effect.

Is the short answer that I need to learn Flash to do what I want?

At this point, my recommendation would be to use JW player. It's pretty straightforward to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast