Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming from multiple S3 buckets

Default Streaming from multiple S3 buckets

Hello,

We have multiple S3 buckets containing video contents. I would like to know how to make a single Wowza instance can stream those contents.

While we are trying to figure this out, we just give the Wowza with a URL with unmounted bucket. I thought that the URL should not play the stream but it did stream the content out. I want to know how this happened and whether this is a proper way of dealing with multiple buckets. Thank you.

Are you trying to stream from S3FS mount? That's not a good idea. Use the "vods3" application that is installed by default on Wowza EC2 instances to stream from s3. You can stream from any bucket you own or that has read access. See the Wowza EC2 User Guide for more details:
    http://www.wowza.com/resources/Wowza...UsersGuide.pdf

Richard

Is it possible to broadcast videos from s3?

In the StreamClassControl/LiveStudio example I can add videos to a playlist and then run the playlist on a stream. The videos must be in the content directory. I want to run s3 videos in the same fashion. How can I do that?

At the moment I can run s3 videos with the following settings:
    server: rtmp://wowza-IP-address/vods3
    stream: mp4:amazons3/video-bucket/TurkeyVideo.mp4
    But this is not good enough. I need a fixed stream/channel to run the videos.
    Last edited by ertu22; 03-21-2011 at 12:23 PM.

I'm not sure how that could be done. I think vods3 has to be StreamType "default" to work, but you need an application with StreamType "live" to run StreamClass streams. I don't think there is a practical way to do it, that I can think of at the moment.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Are you trying to stream from S3FS mount? That's not a good idea. Use the "vods3" application that is installed by default on Wowza EC2 instances to stream from s3. You can stream from any bucket you own or that has read access. See the Wowza EC2 User Guide for more details:
    http://www.wowza.com/resources/Wowza...UsersGuide.pdf

Richard
    Oh, I see. So I guess I was doing the right thing. Initially I thought that only mounted S3 with s3fs can be streamed, but it seems it is not true nor recommended.

Richard!

Are you considering for future releases a feature where we can broadcast directly from s3?

What do you mean by "directly from S3"? What do you want to that is different from what is offered with the vods3 setup?

Charlie

If you look above I described it.

You should be able to do this today. Setup the Application.xml the same way vods3 is setup with the following MediaReader section:

Code:
    <MediaReader>
    	<Properties>
    		<Property>
    			<Name>randomAccessReaderClass</Name>
    			<Value>com.wowza.wms.plugin.amazonaws.ec2.mediacache.MediaCacheRandomAccessReaderAmazonEC2</Value>
    		</Property>
    		<Property>
    			<Name>bufferSeekIO</Name>
    			<Value>true</Value>
    			<Type>Boolean</Type>
    		</Property>
    	</Properties>
    </MediaReader>
    Then just use the stream names as you would to stream from S3. It should all just work.

Charlie

Which Application.xml file do you mean? The one of 'live' or 'vods3' application?
    In the vods3 Application.xml I already have this entry. Do you mean to put it also into live's Application.xml?

"Then just use the stream names as you would to stream from S3".
    I dont understand. Can you give an example?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast