Thread: New: Ability to select MPEG-TS stream by program ID and audio language as well by PID

Default New: Ability to select MPEG-TS stream by program ID and audio language as well by PID

Note: New in Wowza Media Server 3 Preview 3 patch 1 or greater

An MPEG-TS stream can include multiple audio and and video tracks. You can select these using query parameters that are part of the udp:// URL inside of a .stream file. There are four options for selecting a stream:

• programID: Select audio and video track by program ID
    • audioLanguage: Select an individual audio track by language using 3 letter language code such as eng (English), fre (French) and spa (Spanish)
    • audioPID: Select an individual audio track by PID ID
    • videoPID: Select an individual video track by PID ID

For example

To select programID 0x1234:

Code:
    udp://0.0.0.0?programID=0x1234
    To select programID 0x1234 and the French audio track:

Code:
    udp://0.0.0.0?programID=0x1234&audioLanguage=fre
    To select audio PID 0x456 and video PID 0x567:

Code:
    udp://0.0.0.0?audioPID=0x456&videoPID=0x567
    Note: If both audioPID and audioLanguage are specified audioPID will be enforced and audioLanguage will be ignored.

Note: Program IDs and PID IDs can be specified in hexidecimal if preceded by 0x or decimal without a prefix.

Note: If a stream is selected by programID and the video or audio PID ids change mid-stream the new PID values in the most recent program table will be used.

Note: Here is a table of language codes:

ISO-693 Language Codes

Hi,

If i would like to use this with a multilanguage input (one MPEG-TS with 16 audio + another MPEG-TS with 7), could i select these on wowza level to be transcoded to multiple bitrates etc for all streaming technologies? I've searched for other documentation but can't find how to link to front-end streams based on this ingest.

Is there additional documentation available? I'm running Wowza Media Server 3 Preview 4 3.0.0-preview4 build648.

I don't think so. You would have to start a stream with the audio track you want selected using StreamManager to start the transcoding process, then the transcode steams will include that audio track.

Richard

from my experience, Wowza will just transcode the first audio PID and the first video PID it comes across, it won't encode all audio PIDs associated with the Program ID. As Richard said, you'd have to encode the video 16 times (one for each audio input) in the case of your first MPEG-TS.

if selecting a specific stream, will the server ONLY send those streams selected (ie to reduce bandwdith)?

If you create a .stream file with your stream and specify audio and/or video PID, that is what will be used. So you should be able to use one stream with many tracks in many .stream files each with different audio PID.

Richard

If I want to send, say, three different programs in one MPEG-TS to Wowza on the same port (thus, I wouldn't have to demux), how would I define multiple stream files? I've tried setting up three different files similar to the following:

udp://0.0.0.0:10000?programID=1
    udp://0.0.0.0:10000?programID=2
    udp://0.0.0.0:10000?programID=3

But I get errors that the port is already in use. Is there a way to have three programs come in on the same port?

you can use .stream files for each one.

/content/udp1.stream contains "udp://0.0.0.0:10000?programID=1", etc.

You would play udp1.stream

Richard

When doing so, I see the following error in the logs for two of the three programs (the other one works):
    WARN server comment - RTPUDPTransport.bind[live/_definst_]: Address already in use: /0.0.0.0:10000

(Note that I'm trying to do this in Wowza 3, so the stream that I'm playing is something like udp1.stream_360p)

You need do UDP port sharing:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....)-Port-Sharing

Richard