Thread: iOS playlist

Default iOS playlist

Hi,

I'm trying to insert a pre-roll advertisement, but i don't want it to be on the browser side, i need the logic to be implemented on the server side. In order to do that, i need to modify the playlist sent to the client when it asks for VOD content.
    I can't seem to find a way to get the playlist sent to the client (in the server side API documentation).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
    Germán

Germán,

Pre-roll is not supported for http streaming in Wowza at present.

If you are doing live streaming, either from live feed or file source, you can do intermittent advertising with Stream class. Take a look at the Stream class articles and examples here:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....f-All-Articles

Richard

Richard:

Thanks for the quick response.

I know pre-roll is not supported, but i want to implement it just to do some testing. I've got one more question regarding this subject:

I've been looking the Stream class, however, i don't know exactly how to use it. In the event methods (such as onHttpSessionCreate) i can access the IMediaStream interface, but (obviously) it isn't the same as the Stream class, and the last doesn't implement that interface. So, the question is: how can i change the playlist of a stream before it's served to the client?, and also, when is it the right time to do that?, on the onStreamCreate event?

Thanks in advance!,
    Germán

onHttpSessionCreate is an event that fires when a cupertinostream, smoothstreaming or sanjosestreaming clients start playing a stream. It is not involved with the source.

By "not supported" in this case I mean there is not a way to do it.

Richard

So, you're saying there's no way i could modify the stream's playlist?

Thanks!,
    Germán

I'm not sure what you mean by the stream's playlist anymore.

vod server-side playlist for iOS (like the midroll example for RTMP) does not exist at present, it doesn't work because there isn't such a thing. I am sure it will be added, but I don't have any idea about the time frame for that.

Stream class streams and playlists do work, but it's not vod.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Richard:

I think we lost track of the subject a little bit. I'll tell you what i want to do and how i want to do it.

I want to insert a pre-roll ad for iOS (lets say for VOD content). In order to do that, i though i could modify the playlist sent to the client so i could insert another URL that points to a VOD file (in this case, the pre-roll mp4) before the actual VOD file asked by the client. Is this possible through the API?

Hope i made myself clear, sorry i didn't explain my objective before.

Thanks again!
    Germán

Germán,

I understood that. It's just not possible at present.

Richard