Thread: Centos 6 Startup WMS problem

Default Centos 6 Startup WMS problem

Hi,

We have installed our first WMS into a Centos 6 VM two month ago. We have configured the service to start with the server.

We have detected that rebooting our server run the start script from /etc/init.d, but the streaming don't flows...

the current solution is to login into the server as root and execute: service WowzaMediaServer restart

Then the streaming goes fine, until the next reboot.

We have follow instrutions at this Forum post: http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...over-port-1935

But the problem still persist.

We have checked the server proccess with command top, and when the server start, the java proccess dont exist.

When restarted the service by hand, the proccess shows running as user "wowza"

Can somebody help me to solve this issue?

Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post

Hi Richard,

We have read the link you send me before... and all is fine with chkconfig.

And I have moved the WMS service to be the last one to start... and still the issue.

I'm thinking this may be an issue between java and wowza user...

Thanks...

It looks like you've edited your scripts to "run Wowza as a named user", but there is a script somewhere that the wowza user does not have permission to execute.

Recheck the User Guide section "Run Wowza as a named user." Take a look at the init.d script, follow the path of execution, and try to identify where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post
    It looks like you've edited your scripts to "run Wowza as a named user", but there is a script somewhere that the wowza user does not have permission to execute.

Recheck the User Guide section "Run Wowza as a named user." Take a look at the init.d script, follow the path of execution, and try to identify where the problem is.

Hi Randall,

We have rechecked the User Guide section "Run as named user", and it was made ok.

checking the init.d script, we found:

/usr/bin/WowzaMediaServerd, have this permisions: rwxrwxr-x, and user root:root... it should run as user wowza

/usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/bin/setenv.sh, have this permisions: rwxrwxr-x, and user wowza:wowza...

/usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/conf/Server.license, have this permisions: rwxrwxr-x, and user wowza:wowza...

I'll try several reboots and I will inform you

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post

Hi Randall,

We have found permissions failure to user wowza in these directories:

/var
    /var/run
    /var/lock/subsys/

the wowza user don't have write permission...

What is the solution to this issue? if we want not to run WMS as root user or wowza user to be part of root group

Thank you

There is some answer to my question?

Check that the WowzaMediaServer files don't already exist in those folders.
    The unix service subsystem actually writes the files to those locations, and it runs under root.
    How are you starting up the service ?

Daren

Quote Originally Posted by daren_j View Post
    Check that the WowzaMediaServer files don't already exist in those folders.
    The unix service subsystem actually writes the files to those locations, and it runs under root.
    How are you starting up the service ?

Daren
    Hi Daren,

The files pid and lock are created and deleted each time the service is started and stoped.

We have used "chkconfig WowzaMediaServer on" so the service starts automaticaly when the server boots

I think the issue is: The folders /var/run and /var/lock/subsys have only write perimission to root...

here I copy the "ls -l" print out;

drwxr-xr-x. 17 root root 4096 Apr 28 08:10 /var/run

drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Apr 28 08:10 /var/lock/subsys/

Thank you

Hi promptven,

Perhaps you were trying to give the wowza user permission to start/stop the service?

As it is, I don't think that is the intention. I think the intention in running as a different user is to give developers access or to allow recordings to be moved by a non-root process.

If you want to start/stop the service as a non-root user, the procedure depends on the OS. There is probably a better way to do it (such as using start-stop-daemon), but I came up with this:

1. Change the location of WMSPID_FILE and WMSLOCK_FILE in the init.d script to somewhere the wowza user has r/w privileges.
    2. Add a chown command to change the owner to wowza after these files are created. i.e. after "touch $WMSLOCK_FILE" in the init.d script. And after "echo $! > ${WMSPIDFILE}" in [Wowza]/bin/wms.sh.

This way, the Wowza user should be able to restart the service even if the init.d script was run as root after startup. (note, haven't tested it)

Hope this helps.