Having some issues at the moment with HTTP streaming.
We are using:
Which has been encoded by
encoding.com It creates 3 formats: 1. Mobile 2. Medium 3. High. The mobile is being streamed to the app. We use the Android Media Player to play the files.
At the moment, any content which is longer than 20 minutes is stopped on the app. It can vary, so for example for a 30 minute file the video will stop at 17 minutes, or 18 minutes. There has been no mathmatical pattern across various videos. However, it is never in the first 1-10 minutes in the video.
We have a Dashboard, where we can Preview the medium and high version, not the mobile. We are only going by these versions that the mobile has encoded successfully and
Encoding.com's Finished notification.
Here is a note from our app team:
I have tried setting different encoding settings in
encoding.com to only
slight improvements and with Wowza I have tried different configuration
settings on their server for the wowza app that streams the content, to
help audio/video lag and dropped frames but again to no avail.