I'm setting up Wowza Streming Engine 4.0.1 to use as a live encoder machine. My desired scenario is to have a set up that can ingest an RTMP live stream, transcode it into different bitrates and then republish to another server.
Currently I have set up the server as a production server in WSE Manager, and that's all the performance tweak I've done. Hardware specs are:
CPU i7 2600K
RAM 8GB DDR3@1600MHz
HDD Crucial C300 SSD
I've been reading about this issue but haven't find any help. I've tried to use a freshly set up application for live streaming with only RTMP playback enabled and published a 500k stream just to test a simple scenario but I get choppy playback under this circumstances. Obviously I get choppy playback for 2Mbps stream @ 720p encoded to other 5 bitrates that are then republished using WSE addon.
CPU utilization and RAM utilization is way under 20% at all time. For transcoding I'm using Intel Quick Sync 1.4 with the HD3000 GPU in the 2600k and CPU usage is really low, but it's important to note I'm getting choppy playback even if I'm not transcoding at all.
500 + 64kbs is not very high, but for RTMP playback, choppiness is usually a bitrate/bandwidth problem. It might be a bottle-neck between the encoder and Wowza, or between Wowza and the playback client you are testing.
The transcoder params you indicate you are working with might help, but in my own tests and other customers remarks, I haven't seen significant differences. I think it depends on the source and many other factors, that is difficult to transcode to actual CBR. I think if anything it is a constrained VBR, i.e. with high and low thresholds.
Sorry for the misread. Frame rate is not configurable. In some cases the frame rate of the source is not in the metadata. That might be the problem. You can tell the Transcoder what the source frame rate is by adding sourceStreamFrameRate Property
following this guide