I'm using Wowza Streaming Engine and Transcoder AddOn. The transcoder is currently encoding with QuickSync 1.4. I am getting frame drops and variable frame rate in transcoded stream. CPU is at 10% and I have plenty memory free.
I have tried changing some quicksync settings as TargetUsage and NumReFrame but I still get Variable frame rate due to frame drops. When I record the stream it does show some bitrate variability but it is low, and video playbacks verry well.
Source stream is 1Mbps and frame drops when playing back with strobe media playback are much less than playing back transcoded streams, although everything seems totaly random. I've tried playing back in different players and browsers but I can't get a smooth result.
I'm still doing some checks and I think it is not related to Wowza neither the Transcoder.
I was checking with single bitrate streams and fps dropped. Then I checked with Adaptive Bitrate through RTMP, and it started to work better. It seems as if OSMF or Strobe Media Playback, choose to drop frames instead of buffering when there is not enough bandwidth. This was solved with Adaptive Bitrate because the player ha the option of requesting a lower bitrate stream rather than dropping frames.
I am checking with other players to confirm this is the issue, but it seems that's it.
What I have noticed is that transcoded streams have variable frame rate, I would like to force Constant Frame Rate, there is enough CPU power to do this so I don't know why Wowza makes it variable.