With Wowza ClearCaster™ Pro, you can broadcast in universal mode using an integrated workflow between a Wowza ClearCaster and the Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service. This integration simplifies broadcast configuration and management, enabling you to start and stop a stream from one user interface. Learn how to use Wowza ClearCaster as a video source for a live stream or transcoder in Wowza Streaming Cloud.
1. Set up the integration
To set up an integrated connection between Wowza ClearCaster and Wowza Streaming Cloud, you'll add a Wowza Streaming Cloud REST API access key and API key to the Wowza ClearCaster Manager.
Get an API key and access key for the Wowza Streaming Cloud REST API
Both the API key and the access key can be found in the Wowza Streaming Cloud user interface.
- In the menu bar, click your user name and choose Account Settings.
- Select API Access from the navigation on the left-hand side of the page.
The keys are located in the API Key and Access Keys sections, respectively, of the Wowza Streaming Cloud REST API page.
- To generate a new access key, click Add Access Key.
- Leave Enabled selected so that the key is immediately available, and provide an optional Description. Then, click Add.
Wowza Streaming Cloud generates the key.
You can disable and re-enable the access key at any time, and edit the description.
Add your API key and access key in Wowza ClearCaster Manager
- Sign in to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at clearcaster.wowza.com with your Wowza account.
- Click Manage in the menu bar, and then click the Integrations tab.
- Click Add a Wowza Streaming Cloud API Key.
- Enter a descriptive Name for the key, and copy and paste the Access Key and API Key from your Wowza Streaming Cloud account.
- Click Add a Wowza Streaming Cloud API Key to save the keys in Wowza ClearCaster Manager.
2. Create a live stream or transcoder in Wowza Streaming Cloud
If you don't already have a live stream or transcoder set up in Wowza Streaming Cloud, you'll need to add one with the appropriate configuration.
- Go to the Wowza Streaming Cloud user interface.
- Add a live stream or a transcoder with output renditions and stream targets, making sure to do the following:
- For a live stream, select Wowza ClearCaster as the video source.
- For a transcoder, set the source protocol to RTMP and set the source delivery method to Push to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- For specific instructions on adding a live stream or transcoder in Wowza Streaming Cloud, see More Resources.
3. Create a broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager
- In Wowza ClearCaster Manager, click on Broadcasts in the menu bar, and then click Create Broadcast.
- Set up a broadcast for your ClearCaster appliance.
- Broadcast Name – Enter a name for the broadcast.
- ClearCaster – Select the appliance that you want to use for the broadcast. Only appliances that are registered to your Wowza account appear in the drop-down menu.
- Destination – Select Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Encoding Templates – Select one of the that are pre-made specifically for your destination or special broadcast configuration. See About built-in Wowza ClearCaster destination and encoding options for more information.
- Record Broadcast – Select to record the broadcast each time it goes live.
- Graphics – Select a built-in graphics package or select Custom and enter a graphics URL to include graphics. The built-in graphics packages can be edited in the Manage tab under Graphics. Additional graphics can be added using a browser-based graphics application that generates an output URL.
- Engineering View – Select to view additional monitoring information on the external monitor connected to your ClearCaster appliance.
- Server URL - Enter the protocol followed by the URL for your destination. For example, rtmp://mycompany.com/live/stream.
- Click Create Broadcast.
- For detailed instructions on setting up a broadcast, see Create Wowza ClearCaster broadcasts.
4. Go live with your ClearCaster broadcast to Wowza Streaming Cloud
To publish a broadcast, find it in the list of broadcasts on the Broadcast page and click Go Live.
When the broadcast goes live from the ClearCaster appliance, the stream in Wowza Streaming Cloud starts automatically.
5. Stop your ClearCaster broadcast to Wowza Streaming Cloud
To end a live broadcast, find it in the list of broadcasts on the Broadcast page and click Stop Broadcast.
The broadcast stops publishing to Wowza Streaming Cloud and the stream in Wowza Streaming Cloud stops automatically. The broadcast remains visible on the Broadcast page for future use.