The Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service with Ultra Low Latency can connect to any H.264 encoder that supports the RTMP network protocol. This article describes how to use the Wowza Streaming Cloud web manager to add an ultra low latency stream target and configure an RTMP-based encoder as the video source for a Wowza Streaming Cloud ultra low latency stream.
Add an ultra low latency stream target
First, add an ultra low latency target in Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Click Advanced on the menu bar, and then click Stream Targets.
- Click Add Target, select Wowza CDN - Ultra Low Latency, and then click Add.
- On the Add a Wowza CDN - ULL target page, specify the following:
- Target Name – A short, descriptive identifier for the target that differentiates it from other targets in Wowza Streaming Cloud. A Target Name is required, doesn't have to be unique, and can't exceed 255 characters.
- Source Delivery Method – Select Push for the source to push the stream to the target. Select Pull for the target to pull the stream from the source.
- Source URL – Only for ultra low latency stream targets whose Source Delivery Method is Pull. The URL of the source IP camera or encoder connecting to the stream target. The hostname or IP address used in the Source URL must be publicly accessible. For help determining the correct Source URL, see the encoder or IP camera's documentation.
- Apple HLS Playback Stream – (Optional) Select Enable HLS Fallback Stream to create an Apple HLS playback URL that can be used to view the stream on mobile devices or to provide redundancy in the event that WebSocket connection attempts fail.
- Enabled? – Select Enable this target to allow the source stream to be immediately ingested by the target's origin server. Select Do NOT enable if you prefer to set up the target and encoder first, then enable ingest at a later time.
- Click Add.
Configure the source
Make sure you have the latest firmware for a hardware encoder installed. See the encoder's user guide for details about how to update firmware as well as how to operate the device or software and how to specify settings such as resolution, bitrate, and frame rate.
RTMP encoder with push source delivery method
For an RTMP encoder delivering a stream into Wowza Streaming Cloud over a push connection, use the Primary URL in the target details page to configure the source. The primary URL is the ingest location for the stream. For example:
Where [stream_name] is the alphanumeric stream name generated by Wowza Streaming Cloud to identify the specific stream.
Refer to documentation for your specific encoder to note where to input the stream settings. Encoders may require the stream name value to be separated from the primary URL.
For example, Address or URL might be:
While Stream or Stream key might be:
RTMP encoder with pull source delivery method
For an RTMP encoder delivering a stream with a pull connection, you configure the source by determining and providing the Source URL value when adding the ultra low latency stream target. The Source URL must be an RTMP URL with a publicly accessible hostname or IP address.
Play a push stream
Start sending video from the video source and RTMP encoding device, and the ultra low latency steam starts.
Play a pull stream
When someone requests the stream by accessing the playback URL, the ultra low latency target will ingest the stream and it will start playing. After about a minute of no requests, Wowza Streaming Cloud stops ingesting the stream.