Step-by-step instructions for using Orban Opticodec-PC Streaming Encoder with a Wowza media server, including PAD/metadata.
(Wowza Media Server 2.0.0 or greater with current patch, Opticodec-PC PE version 3.1.67 or greater, and Flash Player version 18.104.22.168 or greater are required).
This configuration maps the Orban Opticodec-PC Streaming Encoder RTP PAD/metadata to equivalent Flash onMetaData objects, making it easier for Flash Player development.
Refer to the Orban Opticodec-PC 3.x Streaming Encoder Documentation for the PAD/metadata specific information.
DO NOT USE RTMP from Opticodec-PC to connect to Wowza Media Server. RTSP/RTP Authentication is supported.
- Download and install (Wowza media server software)
- Download and install the (latest Wowza media server software updater)
- Create a new Wowza media server application for streaming (may already exist if examples installed)
- Create the folder [install-dir]/applications/live
- Create the folder [install-dir]/conf/live
- Copy the file [install-dir]/conf/Application.xml into this new folder [install-dir]/conf/live
- Edit the newly copied Application.xml file and change Streams/StreamType to live
- Add these properties to the Application.xml RTP/Properties section:
<Property> <Name>rtpMetadataProvider</Name> <Value>com.wowza.wms.rtp.model.RTPMetadataProviderOrbanOpticodec</Value> </Property> <Property> <Name>rtcpEventHandler</Name> <Value>com.wowza.wms.rtp.model.RTPMetadataProviderOrbanOpticodec</Value> </Property>
- Edit the file [install-dir]/conf/rtp.password (or [install-dir]/conf/publish.password if Wowza Media Server 2) and add a username and password
Here is an example of the password file with the username encoder and password changeme
# RTP password file (format [username][space][password]) #username password encoder changeme
- Start the Wowza media server
- Install Orban Opticodec-PC Streaming Encoder
- Startup Orban Opticodec-PC
- Select Settings and edit the following:
- Set the audio encoding parameters to desired settings.
- Change the Protocol dropdown to RTP.
- Change the Server dropdown to Remote RTSP and either MPEG4 or LATM.
- Change Address to [wowza-address or URL]:1935 (where [wowza-address] is the ip address of the server running Wowza Media Server).
- Change Mountpoint to live/stream (the format of this field as it relates to Wowza Media Server is [application]/[application-instance]/[stream] if [application-instance] is omitted it defaults to _definst_).
- Enter the Username and Password that was added to the conf/rtp.password file above to the appropriate fields
- Click OK.
- To broadcast to the Wowza media server, click the Encode button
- To play the stream, double click the LiveVideoStreaming example player ([install-dir]/LiveVideoStreaming/client/live.html), enter the following values and click Play:
Server: rtmp://[wowza-address]/live Stream: stream where [wowza-address] is the IP address of the server running Wowza Media Server
Windows (default): C:\Program Files (x86)\Wowza Media Systems\Wowza Media Server [version]
OS X: /Library/WowzaMediaServer
- Orban Opticodec-PC Streaming Encoder streams using TCP when using RTSP/RTP - Unicast (Remote) on a user specified port, which should be TCP port 1935 to a Wowza Media Server using a standard configuration. When streaming to Wowza Media Server, that is behind a firewall, TCP port 1935 outbound should already be open for Wowza. Opticodec-PC PE requires outbound TCP port 1935.
- Configure the encoder to send the stream to the Wowza Media Server IP address. If Wowza Media Server is behind a router that uses NAT (network address translation) send it to the routers external IP address and be sure to map the TCP port to the correct internal IP address.
- Orban Opticodec-PC 2.x PE, SE, and LE Streaming Encoder are discontinued and no longer available or supported. They used a very early RTP implementation which may or may not work with Wowza Media Server. It has not been tested. They also used workarounds for Darwin Streaming Server bugs, which are no longer present. These versions also do not support advanced PAD/metadata.
Now would be a good time to upgrade.
If you're having problems or want to discuss this article, post in our forum.