The Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service with Ultra Low Latency can connect to any H.264 encoder or IP camera that supports the RTSP network protocol. This article describes how to use Wowza Streaming Cloud to add an ultra low latency stream target and configure an RTSP-based encoder or IP camera as the video source for a Wowza Streaming Cloud ultra low latency stream.
Add an ultra low latency stream target
First, add an ultra low latency target in Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Click Advanced on the menu bar, and then click Stream Targets.
- Click Add Target, select Wowza CDN - Ultra Low Latency, and then click Add.
- On the Add a Wowza CDN - ULL target page, specify the following:
- Target Name – A short, descriptive identifier for the target that differentiates it from other targets in Wowza Streaming Cloud. A Target Name is required, doesn't have to be unique, and can't exceed 255 characters.
- Source Delivery Method – Select Pull for the target to pull the stream from the source.
- Source URL – Enter the URL of the source IP camera or RTSP encoder connecting to the stream target. The hostname or IP address used in the Source URL must be publicly accessible. For help determining the correct Source URL, see the encoder or IP camera's documentation.
- HLS Playback Stream – (Optional) Select Enable HLS Fallback Stream to create an HLS playback URL that can be used to view the stream on mobile devices or to provide redundancy in the event that WebSocket connection attempts fail.
- Enabled? – Select Enable this target to allow the source stream to be immediately ingested by the target's origin server. Select Do NOT enable if you prefer to set up the target and encoder first, then enable ingest at a later time.
- Click Add.
Configure the source
Make sure you have the latest firmware for a hardware encoder installed. See the encoder's user guide for details about how to update firmware as well as how to operate the device or software and how to specify settings such as resolution, bitrate, and frame rate.
For an RTSP pull connection, such as an IP camera, you configure the source by determining and providing the Source URL value when adding the ultra low latency stream target. The Source URL for your camera must include a publicly accessible hostname or IP address.
When someone requests the stream by accessing the playback URL, the ultra low latency target will ingest the stream and it will start playing. After about a minute of no requests, Wowza Streaming Cloud stops ingesting the stream.