This article describes how to set up multiple Wowza ClearCaster™ appliances to build redundancy into your production workflow for Facebook Live broadcasts in Facebook mode. That way, if one ClearCaster breaks or is disconnected from Facebook, a second ClearCaster appliance can continue to supply the source video.
- Each ClearCaster must be running software version 126.96.36.199 or later. See Update Wowza ClearCaster Software to learn how to check your ClearCaster software version and to update it if needed.
To set up redundant ClearCaster appliances in Facebook mode, do the following.
- Set up your primary ClearCaster appliance to deliver your broadcast to your Facebook account. Follow the equipment connection instructions in Wowza ClearCaster system requirements.
- Use the same instructions to set up an additional ClearCaster appliance to provide redundancy for the broadcast. You can connect the redundant ClearCaster to the same source that provides video to the primary ClearCaster appliance (providing an exact copy of the stream) or to a different video source to provide an alternative perspective or different content altogether.
- Register both ClearCasters in the redundant configuration to your Wowza account. See Register Wowza ClearCaster with Wowza.
- Pair both ClearCasters in the redundant configuration with the Facebook account that you want to use for sharing your Facebook Live video broadcast. See Pair Wowza ClearCaster with Facebook.
Note: You must pair all of the appliances with the same Facebook account that you'll use for the broadcast for redundancy to work.
- Configure a Facebook Live broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager.
- Go to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at fb.clearcaster.wowza.com.
- On the Broadcast Details page, under Broadcast Setup, select a primary ClearCaster for the broadcast (ClearCaster 1). If you have more than one ClearCaster appliance registered and paired to your accounts, you can then select a second, backup ClearCaster (ClearCaster 2). See Create a Wowza ClearCaster broadcast in Facebook mode.
After adding a redundant ClearCaster to the broadcast, the appliance that is currently streaming in Preview or Live is marked as Active.
- You can preview the stream from your redundant ClearCaster at any time. Just click Preview next to the redundant ClearCaster appliance's name.
In the event of a failure with the primary ClearCaster, the broadcast will automatically failover to the backup ClearCaster. However, the backup ClearCaster will have a (make active) option, which you can use to manually switch between the primary and backup appliances as desired.