Autoplay allows you to enable live streams or VOD assets in Wowza™ Player to play automatically without user interaction. In this article, learn about browser autoplay policies and how to use the Wowza Player autoplay feature.
- Autoplay is available in Wowza Player version 1.1.14 and later. The feature was temporarily disabled in October 2017 with the release of version 1.1.06 due to changing browser autoplay policies.
- Wowza Player autoplay functionality does not currently work with Flash playback.
- Wowza Player does not currently support autoplay functionality for Internet Explorer.
About autoplay in Wowza Player
When autoplay is enabled, Wowza Player checks to see whether a browser permits autoplay functionality. If autoplay is allowed, the content will play automatically. If autoplay isn't allowed, Wowza Player falls back to manual playback controls, allowing a user to start playback by clicking or tapping the play button. The feature has built-in flexibility and responds to a range of browser behavior based on different policies and user setting selections. Autoplay policies differ across browsers, and users of certain browsers can choose to block or enable autoplay for individual websites or all websites.
Certain browsers allow muted autoplay—meaning muted videos will play automatically, but videos with sound won't. For browsers that allow muted autoplay according to current policy or user selection, a video with audio enabled will fall back to manual playback controls in Wowza Player. If you want a video to play automatically as expected on most browsers, we recommend that you mute the video.
Browser autoplay policies
Browser policies for autoplay functionality tend to shift over time, so this article provides a high-level description of autoplay policy and links to browser-specific resources. Autoplay functionality in Wowza Player is not limited to the list below, however autoplay on older browsers or browsers not listed here is not ensured.
Check out this table for a quick overview of autoplay policies per browser and platform. The ✕ symbol means that a platform does not support a browser.
|Chrome (v66 and later)||Muted autoplay||Muted autoplay||Muted autoplay||Muted autoplay|
|Safari (v11 and later)||✕||Muted autoplay||✕||Muted autoplay|
|Firefox||Muted autoplay||Muted autoplay||Muted autoplay||Muted autoplay|
|Microsoft Edge||Autoplay with audio||✕||No autoplay||No autoplay|
As of version 66 released in April 2018, Google Chrome autoplay policy states that:
- Muted autoplay is always allowed.
- Autoplay with sound is allowed under certain circumstances.
- If a user has interacted with the domain through a user gesture like a click or tap
- If a user has played video with sound on a website repeatedly — measured through a user's Media Engagement Index (MEI) value
- If a user has added a site to their home screen on mobile
As of version 11 released in September 2017, Safari autoplay policy states that:
- Muted autoplay is allowed as long as users haven't blocked all autoplay in their settings.
- Autoplay with sound is only allowed if users configure it in their settings.
See Auto-Play Policy Changes for macOS or for more information.
Safari users can set their preferences for autoplay for individual sites or all websites. See Stop autoplay videos in Safari on Mac.
As of version 66 released in March 2019, Firefox updated its autoplay policy:
- Muted autoplay is allowed.
- Autoplay with sound is only allowed if users configure it in their preferences or notifications.
Firefox users can set global or per-site autoplay preferences. See Allow or block media autoplay in Firefox for more information.
Microsoft Edge allows autoplay with sound by default. However, Edge users can set global and per-site preferences for autoplay controls as of the October 2018 Windows 10 update with Edge version 44. Edge also now suppresses autoplay of media in background tabs automatically. See Autoplay Policies for more information.
Wowza Player doesn't currently support autoplay for Internet Explorer.
The autoplay feature is available for HLS playback and ultra low latency playback. To generate an embed code, use Wowza Player Builder or Wowza Player Builder for Ultra Low Latency. Alternatively, configure your code manually.
Configure Wowza Player Builder
- In Wowza Player Builder or Wowza Player Builder for Ultra Low Latency, navigate to the Player Options tab.
- Click Autoplay.
- (Optional) Click Start muted.
For general instructions on generating an embed code, see Create a custom Wowza Player with Wowza Player Builder or Configure Wowza Player for ultra low latency streams.
Configure manual code
- Add the following to the ConfigJSON parameter of the WowzaPlayer.create method.
- (Optional) Add an additional parameter to mute the video.
See Wowza Player configuration properties for more information.
Example embed code
An embed code with autoplay enabled should look something like this: