This article describes how to set up multiple Wowza ClearCaster™ devices to build redundancy into your production workflow for Facebook Live broadcasts. That way, if one ClearCaster breaks or is disconnected from Facebook, a second ClearCaster device can continue to supply the source video.
- The software on each ClearCaster device must be running version 184.108.40.206 or later. See Update Wowza ClearCaster Software to learn how to check your ClearCaster software version and to update it if needed.
- If you'd like to configure redundancy for a broadcast created directly in Facebook (facebook.com/live/create), your Facebook account must have special permissions. Contact Wowza Support for assistance.
- Simulcasting doesn't work with redundancy because individual simulcast targets can only be associated with a single ClearCaster.
To set up redundant ClearCaster devices, do the following.
- Set up your primary ClearCaster device to deliver your broadcast to your Facebook account. Follow the equipment connection instructions in Wowza ClearCaster system requirements.
- Use the same instructions to set up an additional ClearCaster device to provide redundancy for the broadcast. You can connect the redundant ClearCaster to the same source that provides video to the primary ClearCaster device (providing an exact copy of the stream) or to a different video source to provide an alternative perspective or different content altogether.
- Register both ClearCaster devices in the redundant configuration to your Wowza account. See Register Wowza ClearCaster with Wowza.
- Pair both ClearCaster devices in the redundant configuration with the Facebook account that you want to use for sharing your Facebook Live video broadcast. See Pair Wowza ClearCaster with Facebook.
Note: You must pair all of the devices with the same Facebook account that you'll use for the broadcast for redundancy to work.
- When configuring a Facebook Live broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager, on the Broadcast Details page, under Broadcast Setup, select a primary ClearCaster for the broadcast (ClearCaster 1). If you have more than one ClearCaster device registered and paired to your accounts, you can then select a second, backup ClearCaster (ClearCaster 2). See Create a Wowza ClearCaster broadcast for Facebook Live.
After adding a redundant ClearCaster to the broadcast, the device that is currently streaming in Preview or Live is marked as Active.
Note: If you'd like to configure redundancy for a broadcast created directly in Facebook (facebook.com/live/create), your Facebook page must be whitelisted. Contact Wowza Support for assistance.
- You can preview the stream from your redundant ClearCaster at any time. Just click Preview next to the redundant ClearCaster device's name.
In the event of a failure with the primary ClearCaster, the broadcast will automatically failover to the backup ClearCaster. However, the backup ClearCaster will have a (make active) option, which you can use to manually switch between the primary and backup devices as desired.