There are several additional RTSP/RTP settings that describe the IP addresses assigned to the Wowza media server. These IP addresses are used during RTSP/RTP Session Description Protocol (SDP) exchange and transport negotiation.
- <RTP>/<RTSPBindIpAddress> - IP address the media server binds to when streaming RTP over UDP.
- <RTP>/<RTSPConnectionIpAddress> - IP address published in the connection (c=) line of Session Description Protocol (SDP) data.
- <RTP>/<RTSPOriginIpAddress> - IP address published in the origin (o=) line of SDP data.
If the media server is behind a router or firewall that uses network address translation (NAT), two IP addresses are used during configuration ([wowza-internal-ip-address] and [wowza-external-ip-address]). The [wowza-internal-ip-address] is the IP address assigned to the media server's network adapter. The [wowza-external-ip-address] is the router or firewall exposed on the Internet or mapped to the media server. In this scenario, the settings above should be set as follows:
- <RTP>/<RTSPBindIpAddress> - [wowza-internal-ip-address].
- <RTP>/<RTSPConnectionIpAddress> - [wowza-external-ip-address].
- <RTP>/<RTSPOriginIpAddress> - [wowza-external-ip-address].
For example, if the internal address is 192.168.1.7 and the external address is 188.8.131.52, the settings should be set to:
<RTSPBindIpAddress>192.168.1.7</RTSPBindIpAddress> <RTSPConnectionIpAddress>184.108.40.206</RTSPConnectionIpAddress> <RTSPOriginIpAddress>220.127.116.11</RTSPOriginIpAddress>
<RTSPBindIpAddress>192.168.1.7</RTSPBindIpAddress> <RTSPConnectionIpAddress>192.168.1.7</RTSPConnectionIpAddress> <RTSPOriginIpAddress>192.168.1.7</RTSPOriginIpAddress>
- The values assigned to these settings vary depending on your network configuration.
- These settings can't be configured in Wowza Streaming Engine™ Manager. You must edit the Application.xml file, even if you're running Wowza Streaming Engine software.
- We provide a mobile test stream that you can use to test your configuration.
- Wowza media server software running on Amazon EC2 automatically sets these values based on the internal and external IP address of the instance.
Originally Published: 10-01-2010.
Updated: For Wowza Streaming Engine on 08-11-2014.
If you're having problems or want to discuss this article, post in our forum.