Note: Wowza Streaming Engine software version 4.2.0 doesn't work properly on Amazon G2 AMIs. To fix this issue, install the latest Wowza Streaming Engine development build.
Configuring the software
Do the following:
- Select an HVM (G2) EBS-Backed 64-bit AMI ID from the list of Amazon Linux AMI IDs to launch a G2 instance.
- When the instance is running, open a Secure Shell (SSH) session to the instance. For details, see Manage the instance through SSH in the Wowza Streaming Engine for Amazon EC2 User's Guide.
- When the login as: prompt appears in the terminal window, enter the user name ec2-user to login to your Amazon EC2 instance. When working with Wowza Streaming Engine, we recommend logging in as the root user. Execute the following command to become the root user:
sudo su -
- Use the following command to make sure the instance is up-to-date:
yum -y update
- Reboot the instance:
- Login to the instance again using steps 2 - 3 above.
- Download the latest Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver from NVIDIA to update the G2 EC2 instance. The latest NVIDIA driver often provides a performance improvement over the default driver installed on the G2 EC2 instance.
- Change the current directory to the location of the driver package and install the driver by running the following command as root:
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.63.runNote: One of the last installation steps will offer to update your X configuration file. Decline this update for the G2 EC2 instance.
- Download the Linux installer for the Wowza Streaming Engine software and install the software as you would on any Linux-based computer.
Note: For Wowza Streaming Engine 4.2.0 and later, a single installer is used for all Linux versions.
- Update to the latest Wowza Streaming Engine development build.
Wowza Streaming Engine is now configured to take advantage of NVENC accelerated encoding. Be sure to adjust the <Video>/<Implementation> property for each encoding preset in your transcoder template to use the NVENC encoding implementation.
Originally Published: 02-20-2014.
Updated: For Wowza Streaming Engine 4.2.0.01 on 08-04-2015.
If you're having problems or want to discuss this article, post in our forum.