Wowza Community

10g - Max sustainable throughput Wowza can handle (live) - Packet size?

Assuming a 10g interface and bandwidth being available, how many concurrent 700kbps can Wowza handle?

I have seen 1gbps NIC benchmarks, but have no information with a 10g interface. Normally for live streams, the throughput is the restriction. In this case (10g), will Wowza/Java/NIC be the bottleneck?

What is the minimum recommended CPU requirement, would a server grade single processor quad core suffice?

RAM, How much is needed per connection and overall?

The other issue is how many Packets per Second the NIC can process. Does anyone know how much of the 10G interface we can saturate before stream performance is sacrificed?

Do the above assumptions change greatly if the protocol being consumed is RTSP instead of RTMP? Cupertino HTTP?

What is the packet size Wowza delivers for RTMP streams?

Thank you!

We have a load testing tool you can request by sending email to test@wowza.com

Richard

Hi,

10 gbps is possible with Wowza Server 2 on properly tuned hardware.

References:

http://www.wowza.com/2010-07-12.html &

http://www.wowza.com/2009-12-17.html

Yours,

John-at-wowzamedia-dot-com

One of our CDN customers is saturating 10Gb per server with Wowza on HP Proliant G6 blades (Xeon 5550 processor). Getting to this level of performance requires careful tuning.

I do agree with cbighea, this sort of high capacity set up is really more appropriate for a redundant multi-server environment.

Typically we recommend a minimum 1GB per core/thread. In the case of a Nehalem 5500 processor, it’s16 threads. I believe our CDN customer set up is 32GB of RAM.

Alex,

I suspect there’s probably a little magic involved there too.

Where 10Gbps is involved, magic is almost mandatory.

:slight_smile:

-Ian

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a little more guidance in terms of what type of minimum hardware we will need to have a chance to sustain 75%->80% of the 10g Intel Nic.

John, you referenced this press release:

http://www.wowza.com/2009-12-17.html

They are using an x4270 server, but my research shows this is a dual processor Intel Xeon 5500 (Nehalem), which is 8 total cores (not 16, and they mention 16 threads, which I assume was supposed to be cores).

Can 8 Nehalem cores saturate a 10g Intel Nic? Or would you recommend more cpu (dual processor 6 core, or quad processor quad core, etc)?

How much ram at minimum would you suggest is necessary?

I know we have to perf test, but I’d like to know the ball park in terms of hardware that must be put together.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

This will be a multi-server deployment. I understand mileage will vary depending on components and tuning of the server , Wowza and the JVM.

What is the required RAM range for this discussion?

The dual 5500 has 8 cores and 16 threads ( 8 of them come from hyperthreading, and they don’t work exactly like the regular cores ). I doubt it will saturate it due to Java, but I’ve seen some C programs handle 8+ gbps on dual 5504 ( the ones without HT ).

If you’re trying to consolidate things into a single server, you should keep in mind that if that server goes down, everything will.