Thread: Liverepeater & Transcode

Wink Liverepeater & Transcode

Firstly, GREAT WORK wowza team for the 3.0 release.

I woke up and nearly choked on my coffee when i had the license key email and took the day off to implement. Very happy camper now. Transcoding solves a great many upstream problems that have plagued me the last 2 years.

Now for the question. Is it possible to consider livereapter-edge to use the source stream?

So in detail, liverepeater edges would take only the source stream and then split into the multiple streams from there. Seems like a much more economical way to distribute streams.

Thanks,
    p.

It could be done, but it is not economical. You should publish one stream to the transcoder/origin and re-stream from each edge.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    It could be done, but it is not economical. You should publish one stream to the transcoder/origin and re-stream from each edge.

Richard
    From watching stats for some time Im lead to believe it would be economical in this application. My edge servers stream 5 levels of transcoded stream. 2 or more of the 5 together (assuming 1 is the highest) is greater than the source stream itself. Over multiple edges the difference becomes quite large.

I've tried a number of times to configure this with no luck. The edge tries to ask the origin server for the transcoded stream.

For instance, client uses "high" as the stream name, where live is the name of the orig stream.

So how can I configure the edge to pass "live" back to the origin server and then transcode on the edge to "high"?

Thanks,
    p.

how can I configure the edge to pass "live" back to the origin server and then transcode on the edge to "high"?
    I don't get it. Can you explain what you mean?

Richard

This is what is from the edge server:

INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.startStream[liverepeater/_definst_/rtmp://xxxxxxx:1935/liverepeater/_definst_/high]

It's calling "high" which is a profile is one of the transcoded stream names (after transcode) and xxxxx is the IP address of the origin server.

So the edge is asking back for the transcoded stream from origin.

The stream to the origin is called "live"

What I'm aiming for is that edge transcode "live" stream which is passed as is from the origin.

Does that make more sense?

p.

Having done more experimentation and post reading I tried using streamaliases. I was able to convert "high" into "live" and get a stream. However it wasnt the desired result, it merely grabs the full size "live" source stream from the origin.

The interesting thing about this technique is that the transcoder still wakes up and engages. Seems like streamaliases step in front of that.

From what I can tell, transcoding only works internally? Meaning that you have 5 outbound transcoded streams which are transcoded on some kind of internal loopback where transcoding works only on the source stream which is published into that same application.

So based on this realization, do I assume correctly for me to get this to work I need to push these streams from my origin to each of the edges?

p.

Quote Originally Posted by lin037 View Post
    chanel handbags authentic 2010

http://www.bestchanelhandbag.net/
    seriously?

Ok, an update. I have it working now as desired.

What was needed to do this is use streammanager as I found in some articles.

The edges are configured using the documented settings for live/transcoded setup.

Then the content/live.stream is created with the uri/application/streamname fully entered.

Then when broadcasting to the origin, goto each edge streammanager and start the stream using liverepeater setup.

Its working like a charm.

If anyone has questions about this setup you can PM me. I'd be happy to help.