Thread: Start and Duration Querystring Options

Default Start and Duration Querystring Options

I've been unable to get the playstart and playduration querystring parameters to work with IOS (on both an iPad2 and a iPhone 4). The video file will play however it always starts from 0 and the duration returned by the server is the total duration of the video. I have been using the sample.mp4 file inluded with Wowza to rule out any encoding issues. What should the URL look like? The docs say it should look like this:

http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4?playstart=30000&playduration=40000
    That however omits the playlist.m3u8 suffix which, when called up in Safari, simply returns an HTML page with Wowza's version number. If I add the playlist.m3u8 part of the URL the video plays fine just without the constraints in the querystring. What am I doing wrong?

You are correct that the article was wrong. The article has been updated. This feature is only available in Wowza Server 3. So be sure you are running this new version.

Try the URL:

http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8?playstart=30000&playduration=40000
    Charlie

Is this featured available for RTSP? If not, are there plans to implement it?

Thanks!
    -emgvod

emgvod,

It is not currently available, but is being considered for a future release. I don't have a time frame for adding that feature.

Richard

Thanks Charlie. Yes, I've upgraded to version 3 on both our sever (Wowza Media Server 3 Monthly Edition 3.0.0 build822) and on my development machine. Both systems are W2K8EE x64. I still haven't found a way to get Wowza to truncate the media it returns when those querystring values are present. They show up in Wowza's logs so I know the server is getting them. Any ideas?

Please post or send us the exact URLs you are using (support@wowza.com). Also zip up and send logs and conf files.

Charlie

Thanks. I sent you an email.