Thread: Digital Rapids - Wowza - Strobe Player Compatibility Issue

Default Digital Rapids - Wowza - Strobe Player Compatibility Issue

I just purchased a new Digital Rapids ABR encoder. I'm pulling what's left of my hair out trying to get it to work with Wowza.

I'm creating 4 flash 9 streams at 1.2M, 750k, 500k and 250k. These are being delivered to the server over RTMP and I'm using smil files to convert the stream to Adobe HDS.

The player connects once the encoder is started it streams fine. Eventually the stream will hang, some times it recovers and sometimes not. This could be after 60 seconds or up to an hour. It never lasts more than an hour.

Once this happens and I reconnect to the stream it will play the first 4 second fragment and then when it tries to change to the next bit rate it will either hang or jump back and forwards in time while changing bitrates.

I have 3 Envivio 4Casters running on the same Wowza server and these are all fine. They are configured with the same bitrates, resolutions, levels, profiles, Key frames and what not.

If I point streams from an Envivio to the RTMP input addresses being used by Digital Rapids and use the Digital Rapids SMIL files its fine. Envivio works. I have streamed for up to 48 hours with no problems. This seems to point to an encoder problem but Digital Rapids said it was either Wowza or the player.

I have 12 Gb reserved for the Wowza Java Heap and the box is a supermicro dual Hex core. Even running just one stream this happens. I tried an eval copy of Wowza on a new server and it did the same thing so I don't think its server hardware issues.

I have tried just one Digital Rapids encoder input to the wowza server and it happens. TOP shows 1.6% total CPU utilization and there is lots of memory free

I have used a number of players - OSMF 1.5/1.6 - Strobe - etc. with the same results.

The only thing that seems to fix the issue is to restart the DR encoder but its short term and will start showing the same behaviour within an hour. Most of the time it fails much faster than that.

There is nothing that stands out in the wowza logs.

I'm running Wowza 2.2.4 and Digital Rapids Live software 1.7

Has anyone seen anything like this with Digital Rapids? Could I have got a bad encoder?

Please Please Please Help. Any suggestions or pointers would be helpful. This has been going on for 2 weeks and I need to have it running for a special event on the October 21.

//Mike-M

Hi
    In the log4j.properties you could change from INFO to DEBUG and see if Wowza shows anything odd
    You could also try just using one bitrate so 1 stream and see if its your encoder that is broken like you have suggested that it could be.

Jason

Leave the debug level at INFO. Take a look at this Property setting:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rame-alignment

This will create output in the access log that shows if the streams are key frame aligned as necessary, which is necessary and likely the problem

Also, make sure you can play each of the stream items directly using Wowza example LiveVideoStreaming player. If one is bad, that could be the problem

Richard

Thanks All.

I have tried to play individual streams and have changed the SMIL to include only one output. I did this for all 4 Bitrates and it runs fine, There are no problems and I ran each for three hours. I pulled the stream on three players OSMF 1.5, OSMF 1.6 and Strobe

As soon as I add a second stream at a diffrent bitrate to the SMIL it will hang with exactly the same symptoms as describe above on all 3 players. It seems only to do this when changing bitrates and only on the Digital Rapids encoders.

I enabled logging as described and found this.

2011-10-17 23:12:30 EDT comment server INFO 200 - Key frame[live/_definst_/DRTEST_500_flash]: dts:55783728 pts:55783728 - - - 56067.555 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2011-10-17 23:12:30 EDT comment server INFO 200 - Key frame[live/_definst_/DRTEST_256_flash]: dts:55783728 pts:55783728 - - - 56067.556 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2011-10-17 23:12:30 EDT comment server INFO 200 - Key frame[live/_definst_/DRTEST_750_flash]: dts:55783728 pts:55783761 - - - 56067.556 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2011-10-17 23:12:30 EDT comment server INFO 200 - Key frame[live/_definst_/DRTEST_1200_flash]: dts:55783728 pts:55783761 - - - 56067.586 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It seems that the DTS and PTS are not aligned for the 2 highest streams. I think that in theory this can be different for H.264 but I dont know enough about it to know if it will cause a problem. With Envivio, everything is aligned perfectly

I also found this. When the stream fails I get this message in the error file.

WARN server comment 2011-10-17 23:12:31 - - - - - 55800.071 - - - - - - - - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreaming.getAppInstance: Stream not found [live/_definst_/DRTEST_1200_flash/playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=694711043]: DRTEST_1200_flash

I never see this on the Envivio streams

As I understand it, alignment on dts values across the set is what is required. So the log snip looks okay, but not 100% sure about that. (see update below)

Have you checked for firmware update? It does seem like an encoder issue.

Have you tested with Wowza LiveVideoStreaming /clientSilverlight example? That uses same server-side smil.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 10-18-2011 at 10:33 AM.

So, I had that backwards. Actually by default PTS values are used to aligned stream. You can tell Wowza to use DTS values by adding this property to LiveStreamPacketizer/Properties in conf/[application]/Application.xml.
    <Property>
                    <Name>chunkBreakOnPTS</Name>
                    <Value>false</Value>
                    <Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>
    This is new, it requires Wowza 2.2.4.05 or later. Patch 5 is here:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....lopment-Builds

Richard

Thanks for all your help.

I wanted to post an update

In the end I had to go and buy another Envivio box and it was just simple plug and play.

It was recommended on another forum that I downgrade the version of DR software and it should work but since its a new 2 channel encoder the older versions of DR software are not compatible with the new versions.

As usual, Wowza was rock solid for us. Thanks for a great product.

That's great, glad it's working. Thanks for the update

Richard