Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wowza service keeps stopping on a virtual server

Default Wowza service keeps stopping on a virtual server

I am having an issue where the Wowza server service stops on its own. How can I encure the Wowza service is always running unless manually stopped? I need it to run even when logged off of the virtual server. This is using Wowza media server 3.

I forgot to add this is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP1 and 64-bit OS; and Java (JDK 6 with update 27).

It shouldn't stop on it's own. You say it shuts off when you log off? You might check in your VPS documentation on how to prevent that.

Any error messages in the logs?

Ensure that the service is set to start automatically.

I am running into a very similar situation. Here are the details.

-Windows Server 2008 R2 ENT sp1, up to date on recent MS patches
    -Virtualized on VMware ESXi 5.0.0 free license.
    - Wowza 3.1.2

I installed Wowza and applied the license key without error. Wowza configuration is consistent with other working environments. When I test h.264 streams I see "stream not found" errors. We've experienced this specific error before which lead me to troubleshooting paths. I went in and restarted the Wowza service. It starts fine, but if I leave the services window open I notice that the service unexpectedly stops itself after a minute or two. In a conversation with a colleague, he mentioned that a similar issues occured over a year ago and it had to do with the Wowza service needing to "check in" with Wowza corporate to approve the license. We are wondering what it is that this service needs to check into? If there is an IP, URL, etc we will need to mention that to our clients so that they can have this open on their firewalls and vlans.

Please advise,
    Chris

Do you see the same behavior when running in standalone mode (with the Wowza service disabled and running [install-dir]/bin/startup.bat instead?
    If it stops under that condition do you see anything (messages) in the console window?

Daren

Which console window do you speak of? Regarding my question, is there something that the service needs to check in with on the Wowza end?

When you run in standalone mode, as described, there will be a console window running on the desktop, with output messages from the Wowza server.
    Wowza needs to periodically check in to our servers for license validation (via http port 80 by default).
    Quite often, when running as a service, there aren't enough permissions to access some types of resources. For this purpose a user account is recommended for use when running as a service, rather than the default Local System account.
    Running a test (as described) in Standalone mode will help determine if the problem is related to running as a service, or something else.

Daren

Hi Daren,
    So I tried that and I get the message "the wowza systems software was not able to connect to the licensing server to validate your license. Please validate that your machine is able to send HTTP data over TCP port 80". I don't see anything in there suggesting that a system account is the issue. I just ran a TCPing on that server and port 80 and I get a message that the port is open. What should I try now?
    Last edited by cristofski; 03-20-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Any status on this? I need to get this up and running immediately because there is a demo session scheduled for monday. If this isn't working it will be a deal breaker for the client.

fyi... from what I'm seeing it appears that the service is attempting to check in every single time as opposed to periodically like you mentioned in an earlier post

You can use a proxy server in this case:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....license-server

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast