Wowza Community

Download .ts files from Wowza instead of streaming it

Hi there,

we are about to update from Wozwa Media Server 2.1.2 to version 3.0.2

Until now we downloaded all the .ts files from Wowza to let it cache over Akamai.

For that all the currently available .ts files in a stream’s .m3u8 file could be downloaded

very fast (ms) by a wget request, e.g.

wget http://localhost:1935/vod/_definst_/STREAMNAME_1_800@36817/media_48.ts?wowzasessionid=1187283153

Now when trying the same in the Wowza 3 environment (with the same config) and download request, every .ts file download lasts exactly as long as the duration of the .ts file is (10 seconds at the moment). So it seems that Wowza streams that file instead of letting me download it as a normal file.

Is this new or how can i get back to the Wowza 2 behaviour ?

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards

valley

valley,

You can download a .ts file if you want. This shows how:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-test-aes-encryption-for-apple-hls-streams

But they are not written to disk by Wowza server-side, and there is nothing built-in to Wowza at present to cache .ts chunks or use Wowza as an HLS origin.

Richard

The size of these .ts files can vary, depending on chunkDurationTarget and key frame frequency.

Richard

Valley,

If downloading .ts chunks is really abnormally slow it is most likely a network issue. To eliminate Wowza as a factor, if you can, download a .ts file locally. Use a copy of Wowza running on your desktop. I think you will see that Wowza is not the bottleneck.

Richard

I’m not sure what to do. You can send conf and logs and we will have a look for anything obvious. Downloading .ts chunks as you are doing is not involved in anything that Wowza supports at present.

Also I tested from Windows 7 locally, and from Mac locally and across my lan, download chunks by assembling URLS like this:

http://192.168.1.6:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4/media_8.ts?wowzasessionid=557883572

And opening that URL in a browser (chrome) and downloading, and it is very fast. So I can’t replicate.

Richard

Send to support@wowza.com

Is this Wowza server on a public IP? If so, send that.

Include a link to this thread for reference.

Include encoder details, screen shots if that is convenient.

Richard

Hi Richard,

yes i know that all. As i said, on our former environment (Snow Leopard 64bit) that download process was no problem and caching has been done with Akamai.

But when i try the same on OSX Lion Server (same Wowza configuration, same download procedure with wget) it takes much more longer for every .ts file

to download from Wowza. Even when i go back to Wowza 2.1.2 it still takes more than 3 seconds for every .ts file to get (not write to disk) from Wowza.

There is nothing else running on that system, and it has 4 GB RAM.

Is there some knowledge base that there can be problems when using Lion ?

Thank you.

valley

In the hightest quality all .ts files have a size of about 1 MB, where the chunkDurationTarget has a value of 10000.

I definitely wouldn’t expect a download time of 3 seconds for one such file, you ?

Btw. when i try to play the playlist.m3u8 for that live stream, QuickTimePlayer also cannot play it fluently!

valley

Since we have bought a Wowza Server 3 Monthly Edition license is there a possibility that we can send you our configuration and a problem description ?

It’s quite urgent now and i don’t see why it still isn’t possible that the environment works faster.

Thanks a lot.

valley

Hi Richard,

the download of .ts chunks happens on the same machine where Wowza is running too, so no network between. I’ve also moved Wowza 3 to another system (Snow Leopard, to eliminate a Lion problem) and also on that system it takes 9 seconds for one .ts file to download.

valley

I know it’s not the core business of Wowza to download .ts chunks. But as i mentioned earlier, also trying to play the corresponding .m3u8 of that stream

in QuickTime lacks of good performance.

Can you give me an E-Mail Adress where i can send you the config and logs ?

Thank you.

valley

Ok Richard, the E-Mail is on the way to your support.

Thank you for having a look at it.

valley