Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Transrate.xml - Works on IPad, Iphone not Flash Clients

Default Using Transrate.xml - Works on IPad, Iphone not Flash Clients

We're uploading streams using Flash Media Encoder and using the Transrate.xml file. This works as expected with Iphone and Ipad clients. When we disable all <Encode> sections in the transrate.xml file except the 120p we see the low-quality stream. We are using ngrp:${SourceStreamName}_all. When we attempt to use ngrp:<streamname>_all in the flash clients we get "failed to play: stream not found", and when we omit "_all" we seem to get the source stream directly.

Am I missing something in how the multi-bitrate streaming should work with flash clients, or is this not supported with them?

Thanks,

Grant
    Last edited by grantk; 10-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.

huh same thing

The ngrp: method is same as a smil file, which doesn't work in Flash.

You can use this method along with the JW Player implementation of Dynamic streaming to generate the client-side RSS:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...erver/page2#16

Richard

Thanks for the response, that's disappointing...so I guess we'll have to look into some solution using flowplayer.

- Grant

I would go with JW Player for this. As far as I can tell Flowplayer doesn't do real Dynamic Streaming, and the above Wowza feature is customized to the JW Player implementation.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 10-26-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    The ngrp: method is same as a smil file, which doesn't work in Flash.
    Hm its strange in your transcoder tutorial wrote following:
    <StreamNameGroup></StreamNameGroup>: This block represents a group of streams that can be played using multi-bitrate streaming. The <Name> is the name of the stream name group and is used to play the multi-bitrate stream when using iOS, Flash HTTP or smooth streaming. For example if the incoming stream name is myStream then the above stream name group name is myStream_all. To play this multi-bitrate live stream using each of the player technologies the URLs would be:
    Code:
    To play using an Apple iOS device (Cupertino/Apple HTTP Live Streaming):
    http://&#91;wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/.../playlist.m3u8

To play using Adobe Flash player (San Jose/Flash HTTP):
    http://&#91;wowza-ip-address]:1935/live/...l/manifest.f4m
    Is this mistake?

I was not specific enough. I should have said, server-side smil (including ngrp: method) does not work in Flash RTMP streaming. It does work in Flash HTTP (Sanjose) streaming

Richard

I am having trouble finding guidance on using transrate.xml for multi-bitrate streaming with on demand content. Is there a resource I could be pointed to, or do we need to actually pre-encode variations of the content, even with Wowza 3?

Thanks,
    Grant

Hello Grant,

VOD transcoding is not supported at this time.

Real-time transcoding is not compatible with the VOD paradigm for a variety of reasons. I suppose it would be ok if you were only wanting to transcode a small number of VOD files at a time. But you can see that if you had 100's of files, you would quickly run out of CPU resources. It makes more sense to trade CPU usage for disk space by doing your VOD transcodes ahead of time.
    Last edited by randall; 10-28-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

- Grant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast