Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot play .mp4 videos generated by Wowza Transcoder

Question Cannot play .mp4 videos generated by Wowza Transcoder

Hi,

I'm currently streaming a live H.264 + MP3 stream, which gets transcoded by Wowza Transcoder AddOn to H.264 + AAC. I'm using the default transcoder.xml for testing purposes.

I'm able to successfully watch the live transcoded streams using both manifest.f4m and playlist.m3u8 options, on the desktop and on the iPad. Great.

The application StreamType is set to "live-record", so that it stores the transcoded streams in .mp4 format on the server. Good. However, although the transcoded .mp4 files do exist, they are "unplayable". I simply cannot play them as if they were corrupt files.

I used GSpot to have a look at their codec information and this is what I got:

The files cannot be played using VLC nor FLVPlayer. The default sample.mp4 (that comes with Wowza) plays normally on both players.

Here is the link to download one of the transcoded streams, in case anyone wants to look at it: http://temp.webmeeting.com.br/CorruptMP4.zip

Any ideas of what is wrong? Anyone else facing this same issue?

Thanks in advance,

Helder Conde

Helder,
    I have replicated your problem. It will be fixed in an upcoming patch. I will reply to this post again with patch info when it is available.

-Lisa

Good to know that, Lisa. Thanks for the update. The Wowza Transcoder AddOn is a very impressive feature. Keep up with the outstanding work, guys!

Best regards,

Helder Conde

Helder,
    Here is the patch, WowzaMediaServer3.0.3-patch3.zip

I tested with Stream Type 'live-record' using the sample transcode.xml template and playing back the recorded .mp4 files with the sample players and also on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

When playing back the resultant .mp4 files, you can use the default vod application that is provided by default through the installer. For example, play back using examples\SimpleVideoStreaming\client\simplevideostreaming.html,
    Server: rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]/vod
    Stream: mp4:myStream_360p.mp4

-Lisa
    Last edited by lisa_w; 11-03-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Smile Great!

Lisa,

That was fast!!! Thanks so much for the quick fix and response.

I did apply the fix, tested and confirmed that it is, indeed, working.

Keep up with the outstanding work with Wowza!

Best regards,

Helder Conde

Great, I just encountered the same issue and the patch worked perfectly too.

Also, in live-record mode, with transcoding enabled with source pass-through, is there a way to prevent Wowza from recording two times the source mp4?

Basically right now in my content folder I have:
    stream.mp4
    stream_180p.mp4
    stream_source.mp4

stream.mp4 and stream_source.mp4 are very much the same but both got recorded anyway and that puts additional load on the HDD that I'd like to avoid.
    It's the same with the DVR: there is both a stream.0 folder and a stream_source.0 folder.

Thanks,
    Mat
    Last edited by Matoo-; 11-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Actually got a big issue after installing the patch.

Before patching, my manifest.f4m?DVR looked like this:
    <streamType>live</streamType>
    <deliveryType>streaming</deliveryType>
    <dvrInfo beginOffset="0" endOffset="0"/>

After patching, with the same configuration, it now is:
    <streamType>recorded</streamType>

And it completely messes up the client-side playback since the client now believes it's just a vod, as opposed to a live+dvr.

Quote Originally Posted by Matoo- View Post
    Actually got a big issue after installing the patch.

Before patching, my manifest.f4m?DVR looked like this:
    <streamType>live</streamType>
    <dvrInfo beginOffset="0" endOffset="0"/>

After patching, with the same configuration, it now is:
    <streamType>recorded</streamType>

And it completely messes up the client-side playback since the client now believes it's just a vod, as opposed to a live+dvr.
    If the DVR is actively recording, the stream type will be live. If the DVR recording has finished recording , the streamType will be recorded (as there is no additional content being added).

The manifest for SanJose DVR has also been changed to be version 2.0 instead of 1.0 by default. So make sure you use the Strobe/OSMF player 1.6 (which is what is shipped with the latest patch). Note that Strobe/OSMF 1.5 would play the DVR stream starting at time=0 but always show it as playing at the live point. The OSMF team fixes this for 1.6. It now starts a live stream at the live point, and a recorded stream at time=0.

If you do not like this behavior, you have a couple options:
    - Set property "dvrSanJosePlaylistRecordedStreamType" to "live" under Application/DVR/Properties.

You could also use f4m manifest style 1.0 by setting property "dvrSanJosePlaylistVersion" to the String "1.0" and use the 1.5 OSMF player.

When using transcoder together with dvr I have streamType set to recorded regardless of if I'm actively publishing a stream to the application or not.
    Last edited by Matoo-; 11-07-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matoo- View Post
    When using transcoder together with dvr I have streamType set to recorded regardless of if I'm actively publishing a stream to the application or not.
    Its not whether you are actively publishing. It's whether the DVR stream you requested is actively being recorded. Those might be equivalent or might not.

Why don't zip up your logs and conf files and open a ticket at support@wowza.com. Please do a 'clean' run of transcoder and requesting the DVR stream by removing the old access log before running. Refer to this thread and give us detailed steps to reproduce what you are seeing. Also, are you using the functionality to limit the playlist?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast