Thread: Simple way to limit live stream duration

Default Simple way to limit live stream duration

Hi,

We are looking at potentially using Wowza to restream our customer's webcams.

We would like to offer the option of limiting stream duration, say 5 minutes per viewer.

I've looked through the User Guide and through these forums, but it doesn't seem to be something that can be set up in a simple way.

Can anyone shed light on a simple configuration directive to limit how long a client stream runs for, or will we need to write back-end code to implement it?

Regards

Richard Gellman
    iCatcher CCTV

One approach is to use the event handlers of IMediaStreamActionNotify3 (new, added codec info)

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-of-codec-info

Or for Wowza 2
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....otify2-example

You will find more relevant discussion involving IMediaStreamActionNotify2 because it is not new.

Richard

Hi Richard,

You just want to type something like "Duration = 5min" in a conf file, right? At this time there is not a way to do that. However I don't think having Wowza just shut off the stream is the best way... which might result in the player seeking, or returning a "stream not found" error.

I think you would want to use flash and the netstream stop command. That way you could display a user-friendly message. You could do this entirely within the context of your web framework and flash client. For Android and iDevices, this would require custom apps/players.

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post
    Hi Richard,

You just want to type something like "Duration = 5min" in a conf file, right? At this time there is not a way to do that. However I don't think having Wowza just shut off the stream is the best way... which might result in the player seeking, or returning a "stream not found" error.

I think you would want to use flash and the netstream stop command. That way you could display a user-friendly message. You could do this entirely within the context of your web framework and flash client. For Android and iDevices, this would require custom apps/players.
    Essentially, yes, but not necessarily an "absolute stop", i.e. it can shutdown the outgoing stream gracefully if there is such a feature, prompting the client end to respond in a similar way to reaching the end of a static video.

We're happy to look at writing our own Flash app client, but obviously if we're streaming to iDevices, Android, etc, we'd like it behave the same everywhere.

-- Richard