Thread: Amazon EC2, S3 and external storage issue

Default Amazon EC2, S3 and external storage issue

We are using Amazon EC2 with S3 storage right now. Our application is for K-12 schools who don't have a lot of money for storage, and S3 can add up over time. We have a huge long tail effect for the stored video, and so we wanted to actually store this locally at the schools on hardware there after the initial week or so after live broadcast stored on S3. Terabyte NAS is really cheap relatively speaking. So we are trying to figure the best way to do this architecturally. I'm not the tech guy, but the tech guys are saying that this is going to be hard to do. Ideally, we would not have to have a Wowza server at the school due to the cost of having a server there, but rather have it be able to be "seen" by the EC2 for playback/VoD. Is that possible?

You can put a symlink to a remote mounted NFS drive in your content folder. Then to access nested content folders use the _definst_ method to play. For example with a symlink called remote:
    rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]/application/_definst_/mp4:remote/sample.mp4
    Some ways to setup a remote NFS mount:
    1. Make a VPN so the remote machine/NAS is on the same network as the Wowza computer.
    2. Forward the NFS ports on your NAT firewall.
    3. Make an NFS mount through an SSH tunnel.

Thanks so much for the response. I think I see how this can work now! I'll let you know thanks so much.
    Last edited by dbriere; 11-17-2011 at 07:18 AM.