Thread: hls problems on wowza 3 (but not on wowza 2)

Default hls problems on wowza 3 (but not on wowza 2)

One of our developers in India has been having lots of problems playing our movies (across different movies) on our wowza-3 EC2 instance (but not on our wowza-2 EC2 instance at approximately the same time). We haven't seen the problem here, so we think it is probably wowza/network related. Both of our instances are in the same EC2 regions (US-WEST-1). The symptoms of his playback problems are that the movie will freeze while playing, while the audio keeps playing. Our configurations for cupertinostreaming are the same on both wowza-3 and wowza-2. Any suggestions of how to debug this?

--dan

Dan,

I don't think playback problems in India from a US server can be fixed in Wowza. It might work sometimes or not, but I doubt it has anything to do with Wowza versions.

Richard

this developer was switching between our wowza-2 and wowza-3 instance and was reliably have problems with the wowza-3 instance and not the wowza-2 instance. The configurations are basically the same, are their any particular differences in how wowza-2 vs wowza-3 behaves with HLS?

--dan

Dan,

Try starting other instance(s) in other regions.

Richard

Richard,
    I can try, but I just suspicious that there is something else going on that will bite me in the butt down the road. I don't want to make the problem go away, I want to figure out why it is a problem. Again, from the same region wowza-2 has given the developer no problems and wowza-3 has given the developer frequent problems. I'm wondering if there are any internal differences in how it's serving and segmenting that aren't accounted for in the tuning parameters.

--dan

We are experiencing the same issues and able to replicate exactly what dan is saying. Wowza 3 has given us artifacting on hls that is not on rtmp and was not there with wowza 2. Unfortunately we can retrograde (reluctantly) but we use a CDN that cannot change back. All of our settings are identical from the two instances (v2 / v3)

Would appreciate some assistance, thanks.

Tim

Tim,

Is there a distance factor in your case too? What are the details of your setup, and what circumstances to do you get this? mHow are you able to replicate?

Richard