Thread: Is this a supported usecase?

Default Is this a supported usecase?

Hi,

I've been playing with nDVR and wanted to know if the following is possible? It looks like I'd use wowzadvrplayliststart/etc to do this but I can't seem to get it to work (I'm running the latest development patch).

We want to have e.g. a 3 hour window and there would be 15 minutes out of every 3 hours we would want to be available as a VOD (note, it doesn't have to exist after the DVR segments are purged from Wowza). From what I've read, using the wowzadvrplayliststart etc paramaters should facilitate this. Is this the case?

It would also be fantastic if this is possible, where I could specify perhaps a unix time stamp for the start time as opposed to specifying it relative to the start of the DVR archive (which in a sliding window would constantly be changing if we were targeting a certain time I would have thought)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by streamingguy View Post
    Hi,

I've been playing with nDVR and wanted to know if the following is possible? It looks like I'd use wowzadvrplayliststart/etc to do this but I can't seem to get it to work (I'm running the latest development patch).

We want to have e.g. a 3 hour window and there would be 15 minutes out of every 3 hours we would want to be available as a VOD (note, it doesn't have to exist after the DVR segments are purged from Wowza). From what I've read, using the wowzadvrplayliststart etc paramaters should facilitate this. Is this the case?

It would also be fantastic if this is possible, where I could specify perhaps a unix time stamp for the start time as opposed to specifying it relative to the start of the DVR archive (which in a sliding window would constantly be changing if we were targeting a certain time I would have thought)

Thanks
    Yes that's possible with the playlist request API or the URL params you mention.
    This article explains how to do it. Note that you need to make sure your html correctly passes through the URL params as part of the playlist/manifest request to Wowza. Changes were made to the Strobe example to ensure these params get passed through correctly so make sure you are using the latest LiveDvrStreaming/clientStrobe player.

There are some upcoming enhancements to the playlist API so the playlist can be selected via packet time or UTC time (the time the a/v is received by Wowza). However, this will be offered via the Java API only and not through the URL params.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your help - I've got it working now, exactly as we expected. Do you know when the functionality to use UTC time will be available? It seems pointless us writing a load of code to accommodate for the sliding window if in a couple of days you'll release UTC time based playlists (even if we do have to write a module to support this).

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your help - I've got it working now, exactly as we expected. Do you know when the functionality to use UTC time will be available? It seems pointless us writing a load of code to accommodate for the sliding window if in a couple of days you'll release UTC time based playlists (even if we do have to write a module to support this).

Thanks
    My best guess is within a couple of weeks (it will be available in an update/patch).

Hi Scott,

Thanks
    My best guess is within a couple of weeks (it will be available in an update/patch).