Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to take snapshot of nDVR every one minute

Default How to take snapshot of nDVR every one minute

Hi,

Is it possible to take snapshot of nDVR recording every one minute ?
    My nDVR setting has startRecordingOnStartup as false.

So, whenever I start the recording, I need to also need it to start taking snapshots every minute until I stop the recording

Quote Originally Posted by db_2011 View Post
    Hi,

Is it possible to take snapshot of nDVR recording every one minute ?
    My nDVR setting has startRecordingOnStartup as false.

So, whenever I start the recording, I need to also need it to start taking snapshots every minute until I stop the recording
    No you can't grab still images directly out of DVR.

However, our transcoder addOn has this ability. http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....wza-Transcoder

So what I would do would be to feed your stream into transcoder, which will then pass it on to nDVR.
    You can then use an HTTP Provider to start and stop the DVR recording, as well as an HTTP Provider to grab thumbnails.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input on that one. I am ok to use the wowza transcoder add on to take snapshots of the video.
    However, is there a way how I can specify a start and stop for the transcoder similar to how we start and stop the nDVR (startRecordingOnStartup = false) using the API ?

So, my encoder will continuosly stream to the wowza transcoder. The wowza transcoder should start capturing the thumbnails only when I issue a start command and stop capturing the thumnails when I issue a stop command. Is that possible ?

You can certainly use the server-side API to program this yourself. There is not anything built in to do this. We do not have a sample for how this would work. The HTTPProvider example here shows and example of how the server-side API works:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....wza-Transcoder

Charlie

Let us assume the nDVR has already created the files and the recording is done. Is there a way to get the image snapshots as "post-processing"? I ask this because in the event that our video is already in H264, it doesn't seem worthwhile to buy 3-4 transcoder licenses when all one needs is a few snapshots. Wowza may not be the answer here, but I am curious if other options exist. Has anyone used FFMPEG to extract snapshots from Wowza .ismv files? thanks.

Any response to the above question?

Incidentally is ismv the same as the "Windows ismv"? We have not been able to open the files with VLC. Is there a specific VLC (version and OS) that needs to be used?

I would imagine if the file can be opened by VLC, it should be possible to extract a snapshot with FFMPEG or some other software.

Quote Originally Posted by cnfcnf View Post
    Any response to the above question?

Incidentally is ismv the same as the "Windows ismv"? We have not been able to open the files with VLC. Is there a specific VLC (version and OS) that needs to be used?

I would imagine if the file can be opened by VLC, it should be possible to extract a snapshot with FFMPEG or some other software.
    The files are fragmented MP4 with custom atoms used to support DVR. They may be opened by some software like FFMPeg. You'd have to play with it.

We can't provide instructions on how to read these or grab snapshots.

Let me rephrase the question - Have you ever successfully played a wowza-created ismv file independently on a desktop? If you have, what software have you used? I believe you said VLC, but we have tried on win and mac with no luck. Please give details on exactly what software and what platform you have used. Also, please provide a sample ismv that you have been successful with. This is quite critical for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by cnfcnf View Post
    Let me rephrase the question - Have you ever successfully played a wowza-created ismv file independently on a desktop? If you have, what software have you used? I believe you said VLC, but we have tried on win and mac with no luck. Please give details on exactly what software and what platform you have used. Also, please provide a sample ismv that you have been successful with. This is quite critical for testing.
    I have not tried to play back those files externally.
    The first things I would try if I were you would be VLC and FFMPEG.

You're in unsupported territory here. The files are used internally by the nDVR. They are not meant to be used outside of nDVR.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKell View Post
    I have not tried to play back those files externally.
    The first things I would try if I were you would be VLC and FFMPEG.

You're in unsupported territory here. The files are used internally by the nDVR. They are not meant to be used outside of nDVR.
    I should also say that if you get these to play and to extract snapshots today, there is no guarantee the format will stay exactly the same and that you will be able to do it at some later time. SO there is some risk involved on your part that you should be aware of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast