Wowza Community

How to turn off video cache/DVR function in live stream?

Hi guys, I’m test driving this product for our live streaming purposes, using the latest demo version. I have a test server successfully running (centos 6) and can send a live stream via wirecast using a flash h.264 based stream. Now, when I want to view it using JW player, I would like it to tune in as to what is currently happening. However its setup I’m getting the cached content and not what is currently live streaming, meaning I’m seeing the recorded content. Is this the DVR function? How can I turn this off as I would like viewers to watch events in progress, not the cache. I can’t seem to find any documentation on where/how to disable this.

Hi guys, I’m test driving this product for our live streaming purposes, using the latest demo version. I have a test server successfully running (centos 6) and can send a live stream via wirecast using a flash h.264 based stream. Now, when I want to view it using JW player, I would like it to tune in as to what is currently happening. However its setup I’m getting the cached content and not what is currently live streaming, meaning I’m seeing the recorded content. Is this the DVR function? How can I turn this off as I would like viewers to watch events in progress, not the cache. I can’t seem to find any documentation on where/how to disable this.

The only way you would see DVR is if you turned it on in your application.xml and also are accessing it with a URL that includes “?dvr”.

If you are not doing that then you are likely seeing the inherent latency in HTTP streaming. All the HTTP streaming technologies require 3 chunks of A/V in order to start playing. So if your live chunks size is set to 10 seconds, you’ll have 30 seconds minimum of latency.

If the StreamType is set to “default” or one of the “*record” types, in the Application.xml you are publishing to, then the stream will get recorded as “[Streamname].flv”. If your Application.xml is missing or possibly malformed, Wowza will default to the stock one located at [Wowza]/conf/Application.xml, which has a StreamType of “default”. When you playback, it plays from the beginning of the recorded file.

It’s a bit non-intuitive, because there’s no error about the missing Application.xml and no log statement that a recording has started.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create folders [Wowza]/conf/live, and [Wowza]/applications/live

-Don’t copy Application.xml to conf/live

1. Publish to rtmp://[Wowza]/live/testStream

-Notice testStream.flv growing in content folder

1. Playback: rtmp://[Wowza]/live/testStream

-Notice stream starts from beginning instead of live

To resolve this issue, follow one of the tutorials listed here, and be sure to use one of the “live” StreamTypes in your Application.xml.

There are ways to minimize this by reducing chunk duration sizes. If you search the forums and articles, you should find some tips.

e.g. Live iPhone Stream Tuning Q..

Hmmm…well that didn’t change a thing. I want actual live streaming, not something recorded to disc. I can see the video file growing in size in the application’s directory as the stream . Is this not possible I find that hard to believe.

It’s possible. Sounds like you haven’t configured your application correctly.

Why don’t you reference this thread, zip up your conf/ and log/ and send then to support@wowza.com ?

OK I 'll check out that link thanks. Coming from FMS world, I didn’t have to mess with any of that.

Hmmm…well that didn’t change a thing. I want actual live streaming, not something recorded to disc. I can see the video file growing in size in the application’s directory as the stream . Is this not possible I find that hard to believe.

okorioth

I’m facing the same problem.

Considering the thread date probably you’ve already solved it.

Could you help me telling what was wrong?

[],

Hey randall,

Perfect.

It was my fault. I 've copied the Application.xml to the application folder instead of the conf folder.

Up and running,

thanks a lot.