Thread: Server side live stream selection

Default Server side live stream selection

Hello all! Let me start by saying that I am not a Java developer, so I'm a bit out of my league here. I can likely find one in-house, but I would like to make sure I can do what I need before I start talking to them. Here is the scenario:

We have a series of different MPEG-4 part 2 MPEG-TS encapsulated live streams that come in, lets say 10 of them. I need to pass them through the transcoder to make them in to an h.264 live stream that everyone can see as well as add a logo to the bottom left telling everyone which stream they are looking at. This part is working great. The problem is that each stream will be online for only 5 to 10 minutes. Then there may be a gap of say 5 to 10 more minutes, and the next stream comes online. So when playing these streams in VLC the whole thing goes offline and they have to figure out where the next stream will be coming from and open that.

Instead what I would like is for the server to stream live the entire time and automagically select whatever stream happens to be live at that moment. If there is no live stream, then loop a video animation that we have created. While in the animation, if one of the live streams comes back online, switch immediately to that live stream.

I was looking at the Stream class switching example, but it sounds like that requires Flash player to work. In my scenario we would like to be able to open this in VLC (or an iPad, or whatever) which means that the server itself will need to do the stream switching and send it out to whatever player I want, all without stopping the live stream.

Is this possible? If so, can anyone give some basic guidance that I can give to my developers? I have the Wowza IDE installed on my local machine and have taken a peek at the example, but I fear I am in over my head!

The output of the Stream class streams is not limited to Flash. You might use a Flash application to send commands to execute switching server-side, but any client you have configured will see the result (watch out for abrupt encoding changes)

You could use this scheduler to start up a bunch of streams, then switch them around with the above technique:

So is the only method to have something trigger a stream switch manually? Ideally once the stream falls offline the script would look for the next available stream without having to have something tell Wowza to switch streams. Or is that simply not possible?

You can monitor a stream like this: