Wowza Community

wowza application name for VLC streaming

Hello,

I’m trying to follow this article here : https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-vlc-as-a-live-stream-encoder-with-wowza-media-server-mpeg-ts to setup VLC with wowza.

Where do we mention the application name in vlc? I see the server address and port number on the vlc string but no app name and stream name.,.How can this work?

In the above article, the examples are all about streaming from a vlc installed on the wowza server itself right? (which is why they’re using the content folder of wowza and ip as 127.0.0.1 I believe)

But,I cannot install vlc on the same server where wowza is installed …neither can I have a seperate server for VLC… I need to stream from different clients.

Please help me.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Please note that I’m talking about encoding from VLC, not viewing through VLC.

You will re-stream output from VLC. In that case you do not put Wowza url or application name, it is a MediaCaster stream. It is associated with a Wowza application when you start the stream in StreamManager.

Richard

Thank you Richard. i understand about starting a stream from stream manager.but what if there are 3 applications in the stream manager and 3 different vlc clients,each trying to encode to a each app ? how can wowza associate each of those different clients with those respective streams? This is going to be used by different people to stream to their respective websites through the same wowza server. thanks

Thank you Randall.

But, however I am unable to still get it to work.

Here’s what I’m doing :

I’m trying to stream my desktop screen using vlc.

This is what is displayed on the generated output string :

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=0,scale=0,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:rtp{sdp=rtsp://:10000/myserver.com} :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=1 :sout-keep

I’m opening up another VLC player and trying to play by clicking on open from network and entering this url :

rtsp://myserver.com:1935/rtplive/mpegts.stream

I tried the following variants :

rtsp://myserver.com:1935/rtplive/test/

rtsp://myserver.com:1935/rtplive/test/mpegts.stream

rtsp://myserver.com:1935/rtplive/

UDP ports and TCP ports are opened for 1935,554,10000 on the windows firewall

Nothing has worked for me this far. Do you find any errors in what I’m doing?

Please help me.

Thanks.

P.S: rtplive is the application name. test is the stream name I entered on the streammanager. mpegts.stream is the file I created in the content directory.

Thank you so much Randall! That works! You made my day. Thanks

Hello,

You can do this under multiple applications, or you can do this with one application. In either case, just create 3 different .stream files using different ports. For example:

live1.stream:

udp://0.0.0.0:10000

live2.stream:

udp://0.0.0.0:10002

etc…

Separate ports by 2 to allow a port for video and a port for audio for each stream.

Hmm, you seem a little mixed up. I know how you feel. Let’s see if we can get you sorted out.

I was able to stream my desktop to Wowza using VLC 1.1.11 on Windows 7 following these steps:

1. In the VLC GUI go Media->Convert/Save.

2. Capture Device tab, set Capture Mode to desktop. Framerate = 15.

3. In the “Convert/Save” dropdown box, change this to “Stream”. Then click Next.

4. In “New destination” choose “RTP/MPEG Transport Stream”. Clieck Add.

5. Address: 127.0.0.1 (Or whatever the address is of your Wowza server). Base Port: 10000 (or whatever port you choose in your stream file). Profile should be: “Video -H.264 + AAC (MP4)”.

6. Click next, and you should see that it is creating an MPEG-TS stream (mux=ts):

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=0,scale=0,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:rtp{dst=127.0.0.1,port=10000,mux=ts} :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=1 :sout-keep

1. Click Stream.

Then follow the MPEG-TS tutorial: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-publish-and-play-a-live-stream-mpeg-ts-based-encoder

After starting Wowza, and then starting the stream in StreamManager I can play the stream in the Wowza LiveVideoStreaming example client using:

Server: rtmp://localhost/live

Stream: mpegts.stream

The important parts to learn are 1: Having the proper stream file in your content dir, 2: creating an MPEG-TS stream, 3: starting the stream in Stream Manager, 4: testing the stream in the Wowza example.