Thread: CUDA not working

Default CUDA not working

Hi,

I've just setted up the WMS transcoder add-on. I've got an Nvidia GTX570 graphics video card, so that's what i want to use in order to do the encoding.

Using the transcoder.xml template, i've been able to transcode (with <Transcoder>default</Transcoder>) all the streams. However, when i set <Transcoder>CUDA</Transcoder>, all i get are green frames.

Through the logs, i'm able to see that CUDA is available:
    • JNI:TranscoderSession.isCUDAAvailable[live/_definst_/saeta.stream]: NVidia CUDA hardware acceleration is available

I really don't know what could this be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Germán

P.S.: I'm running WMS standalone

UPDATE: I'm able to see that the actual transcoding is taking place if i play each stream using RTSP.

If i use HLS or MS Smooth Streaming, i don't get any video or audio... will keep looking

Hello,
    Check if you're on the latest drivers from NVidia. If not, update to the latest to see if that helps the green screen issue.

It sounds like you have made progress. You should see decode and encode messages in the log as shown in Troubleshooting Test #2 Playback of a single transcoded stream, step #3d and 3e, http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?304#tests. Also take a look at Test #1 to make sure you're properly configured for HLS and smooth streaming.

-Lisa

Lisa:

Thanks for your response.

I already have the latest drivers. At this time, i'm able to play the CUDA transcoded streams using RTSP, MS smooth streaming, but still can't play HLS.

I've been capturing some packets when an iPad connects to WMS asking for the transcoded stream. Now, the playlist seems wrong... this is what the client gets when it asks for it:

#EXTM3U
    #EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=629436,CODECS="mp4a.40.2"
    playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=655157130

If you look at the codecs part, you can see that it's audio. When the client requests the playlist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=655157130 url for the new playlist, it gets this:

#EXTM3U
    #EXT-X-ALLOW-CACHE:NO
    #EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:10
    #EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:264
    #EXTINF:10,
    media_264.aac?wowzasessionid=758959541
    #EXTINF:1,
    media_265.aac?wowzasessionid=758959541
    #EXTINF:10,
    media_266.aac?wowzasessionid=758959541

There aren't no .ts files!!!

Any clue???

Germán

[EDIT]: I've been testing around a little bit, and here's something you could easily reproduce. I took the transcode.xml template and in every <Transcoder> tag, i've set up 'CUDA'. The result i'm getting is the following:
    • 720p stream -> playlist containing only .aac files
    • 360p stream -> same as above
    • 240p stream -> playlist containing the CODEC tag, which says 'avc1... mp4a', so, it seems to have both audio and video. Still, it's not being played nor by the HTML 5 tag or the embedded quicktime player
    • 160p stream -> same as above

It seems to be only an HLS issue
    Last edited by german; 11-22-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Germán,
    If the stream had video and audio, then there would be .ts files.

Are you able to play the source stream (not the transcoded streams) on iOS? Do you see any warnings or errors in the logs?

-Lisa

In the described test, i've got .ts files in 240p and 160p, but i still can't play the stream. I'm able to play the original stream.
    I'll check the logs for warnings, however i've been looking through them and there's nothing strange. I'll double check and get back to you.

Regards,

Germán

In the meantime, is there anyway of changing the h.264 level (not profile)?, through the transcoder XML, of course.

Thanks in advance!,
    Germán

I've been looking through the logs, and everything appears to be ok, at least what's described here: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?304#tests

I've found something even stranger that the playlist i posted: when i publish the original stream (which realeses the encoding process) and i try to play any of the transcoded streams from an iPad (iOS 4 or iOS 5), they only play the first time... any time after that, the stream won't start playing; from time to time, i get only audio. If i unpublish the stream and publish it again, it plays the first time and that's it.

I really don't know which way to go. Any suggestion?

Germán

Germán,
    Can you make your live stream available for testing? I'm not seeing the same results with an audio only file. Send live stream info, a zip of [install-dir]/conf and logs directories, plus your transcode.xml template if it has been modified, to support@wowza.com. Please reference this thread.

-Lisa