Thread: ec2 ami + license fee + more for server per hour?

Default ec2 ami + license fee + more for server per hour?

Can you guys explain something to me.

So if we decide to use wowza and ec2, we pay like .46 cents an hour vs .036 or something like that. On top of that we need to pay $5 a month and buy a license key?

What is the difference if I just get the .36 an hour server and load wowza on it myself? I figured the .46 cents would give you the license key or am I missing something. Right now we use bare metal servers and have about 10 wowza licenses between v2 and v3. Just trying to figure out how this all works and why we would pay more for the wowza streaming on ec2 if we already have or still need to purchase licenses.

Thanks.
    - Andy

Andy,

With devPay on Amazon, the add-on charge is for the license, you don't need to buy any additional licenses. You can, as you mentioned, install your own license on your own instance (or use a lickey instance that is pre-built, at the same cost as a regular amazon instance). With v3, the devpay instances do not have the premium add-ons available, whereas the lickey instances do.

-Ian

So if we have our own licenses we should just build out a regular AMI ourself instead of using the wowza ami's, and if we want to expand, or need more then spin up a wowza instance and pay the .46 cents? Is that correct?

If you have your own license, use the lickey AMIs instead of the devpay AMIs

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....achine-images)

Richard

As richard pointed out, you can use the prebuilt lickey AMIs and add your license to them, and spin up as many as you need, or you can roll your own. The prebuilt ones have the advantage of already being tuned for the environment. It is also possible to combine lickey and devpay instances if you wish.

-Ian

So I can use the lickey AMI's with my own license and not pay .46 cents an hour? Because that is kinda confusing I guess. So its only if I don't use my license that I get charged .46 cents is that correct?

Also are there EBS volumed lickey AMI's and if not, why not? Instead of terminating the instance, you would be able to just shut it down and bring it back up when needed.

You will pay base EC2 charges to Amazon AWS for time and bandwidth usage of the instance. You can take advantage of Reserved Instance pricing with the lickey AMIs

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    You will pay base EC2 charges to Amazon AWS for time and bandwidth usage of the instance. You can take advantage of Reserved Instance pricing with the lickey AMIs

Richard
    Right what I am getting at is the normal instance is like .36 cents and the wowza one is .46 cents. So I will pay just the .36 cents amazon fees and not be charged the extra price per AMI instance for wowza if I use my own license, which is what I am wanting to do. Just use our own license. Correct?

That's correct. You can also use reserved instances that way.