Wowza Community

liverepeater-edge acting also as liverepeater-edge-origin - possible / advisable?

I’m implementing a dynamic scaling setup and it would be very convenient for me if I could use the same liverepeater-edge app to both serve streams to viewers (as intended), but also at the same time to serve the stream to another liverepeater-edge app running on another server (which is normally done through liverepeater-edge-origin).

The other way (if the above is not possible or advised against) would be running two apps on the edge server (one liverepeater-edge and one liverepeater-edge-origin), but that would mean having two redundant connections (per stream) with the same data to the origin server. (So it would be more straightforward to connect that other edge app directly to the origin server (not proxy it at all), but I don’t want to scale at origin in this particular setup.)

I have looked at the Streams.xml and technically there only appears to be a difference in tuning parameters (between liverepeater-edge and liverepeater-edge-origin), so it should be doable.

Is it OK to do this? Namely, to point a liverepeater-edge app to another liverepeater-edge app as its origin. Is there something to watch out for in this setup? Or some recommendations how to tune it for the best for both of the worlds?

Thanks,

George

Hi

Yes this is possible and can be done in the way you described in the 1st paragraph.

Jason

It’s pretty straightforward, on your second-tier edge server, point the Application.xml to your first-tier edge server instead of your origin server.

rtmp://first.tier.edge/edge/

-Ian

Hi

Yes this is possible and can be done in the way you described in the 1st paragraph.

Jason

Can someone please tell me how this configuration can be done.

Thanks

Larry