Thread: Moving DVR content to another application folder

Default Moving DVR content to another application folder

Hi there ... is there a set of steps to follow if I have some DVR content I want to keep for the future under a different application?

For instance:
    I've my DVR application, which records a live event during 2 hours. Once it's finished, I keep it available for certain time under same application.
    Now, I have a new live event coming up, and I don't want to change all my player and CMS setup, so, this DVR app will delete the old DVR content once new live event starts

So, how can I keep the previous version available to be played back under a different application name (let's say oldDVR)? Can I just move the content from DVR folders to oldDVR one? In case it's possible, how to set oldDVR to play this back as it were a VOD content now?

If it's not possible, and instead of deleting the DVR content, I decide to version 1 ... is there a way to access it by playlist delegate? Can I still do it if my DVR window is 2 hours and each even lasts 2 hours?

I guess I posted too many questions ... but in summary I'm trying to re-use the DVR'd content as a VOD content through the playlist delegate API, ideally, serving it from a different application, not the one that originally recorded it

Thanks any advice

Quote Originally Posted by tavius View Post
    Hi there ... is there a set of steps to follow if I have some DVR content I want to keep for the future under a different application?

For instance:
    I've my DVR application, which records a live event during 2 hours. Once it's finished, I keep it available for certain time under same application.
    Now, I have a new live event coming up, and I don't want to change all my player and CMS setup, so, this DVR app will delete the old DVR content once new live event starts

So, how can I keep the previous version available to be played back under a different application name (let's say oldDVR)? Can I just move the content from DVR folders to oldDVR one? In case it's possible, how to set oldDVR to play this back as it were a VOD content now?

If it's not possible, and instead of deleting the DVR content, I decide to version 1 ... is there a way to access it by playlist delegate? Can I still do it if my DVR window is 2 hours and each even lasts 2 hours?

I guess I posted too many questions ... but in summary I'm trying to re-use the DVR'd content as a VOD content through the playlist delegate API, ideally, serving it from a different application, not the one that originally recorded it

Thanks any advice
    Yes, you can move the whole thing to another application.
    Then in that case you configure the new 'DVR vod' application almost like the old one: turn on dvrstreamingpacketizer, turn on the httpstreamers you want to use, but turn off DVR/Recorders:

<Recorders></Recorders>

Thanks for the answer. I'll give it a try

Hi Scott ... I did try this and it worked, but I have another question about something that happens, which I don't know if it's meant to be like that.

So, I recorded content using DVR, then I moved the content to another application folder for "VOD_DVR" ... I can use it with no problems, with start_time and duration.

But, if I do following, content moved won't be recognized unless I re-start the Wowza service

Let's say I recorded 2 hours of the live event as a DVR content. Then I moved/copied only 30 mins to "VOD_DVR" and use those with no problem. Then, I decided I'll need the whole 2 hours, not just the first 30 mins. So I moved the rest of the content. Now, if I try to play anything after the first 30 mins, it doesn't play it (it actually starts from time zero as the content doesn't exist). The first 30 mins are good, but rest is not recognized. If I re-start Wowza, then it gets recognized and I can play back any part of the 2 hours of content I moved.

What's the reason it doesn't automatically recognized any content I add after starting service? any way to avoid re-starting service for having it recognized?

Thanks

Hi Scott ... I did try this and it worked, but I have another question about something that happens, which I don't know if it's meant to be like that.

So, I recorded content using DVR, then I moved the content to another application folder for "VOD_DVR" ... I can use it with no problems, with start_time and duration.

But, if I do following, content moved won't be recognized unless I re-start the Wowza service

Let's say I recorded 2 hours of the live event as a DVR content. Then I moved/copied only 30 mins to "VOD_DVR" and use those with no problem. Then, I decided I'll need the whole 2 hours, not just the first 30 mins. So I moved the rest of the content. Now, if I try to play anything after the first 30 mins, it doesn't play it (it actually starts from time zero as the content doesn't exist). The first 30 mins are good, but rest is not recognized. If I re-start Wowza, then it gets recognized and I can play back any part of the 2 hours of content I moved.

What's the reason it doesn't automatically recognized any content I add after starting service? any way to avoid re-starting service for having it recognized?

Thanks
    What you're doing is beyond the scope of what is supported.
    You may copy the finished DVR recording when it is not recording. You must move all of it.

Even after a restart, I doubt copying recorded content that is either still being recorded or moving partial recordings will be successful. It's definitely not a supported manner of working.

I would look at the recording API (http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-Recording-API), and use it to name your output recording name and to control tyhe start and stop times of recording.
    That's the proper and supported way to do it.

Scott

Thanks for the response. Even though, using the starting/ending recording with Recording-API doesn't let me do exactly what I need to do as I can't call for timestamp start and duration

Thanks for the response. Even though, using the starting/ending recording with Recording-API doesn't let me do exactly what I need to do as I can't call for timestamp start and duration
    You will be able to in the not too distant future.