Thread: Application not defined

Question Application not defined

I installed Wowza Media Server 3.0.3 on my Macbook Pro and it starts fine but I'm running into an issue with all the examples.

I installed all examples and I'm opening the html files under the examples and it appears to start but I get a message about the application not being defined.

For example, trying to start the simplevideostreaming.html page, when I click play it says:

Application (vod) is not defined.

This happens with the other examples too.

I have no idea what the issue is. I see the correct folders created under /applications and also under /conf there are the appropriate folders with Application.xml files in them.

Could it be a permissions issue?
    Thanks in advance.

Hello,
    A vod application comes as part of the Wowza Media Server 3 installation, so it should be all set up. Re-start the server and try again. Do you see a message "Wowza Media Server is started!"?

-Lisa

Yes the server starts just fine. I get the not defined message when I click the play button.

Hello,
    Where do you see this error message? If you see it in the Wowza console or logs, then I would suggest re-installing as the provided vod application should work with the sample.mp4 video. If you get this error when you try to open up the html file, then it points to an issue with the browser you are using. I was not able to reproduce this message with Safari, Chrome and Firefox on 10.6.8 and 10.7.1.

Another possibility is that there are multiple versions of Wowza installed and the symbolic link is pointing to a different install or as you indicated, a permissions issue.

Before re-installing, drag these files to the trash:
    /Applications/Wowza Media Server 3.0.3
    /Library/WowzaMediaServer
    /Library/LaunchDaemons

If problems persist, send a zip of [install-dir]/conf and logs with the details of your OS version, which browser and version to support@wowza.com. Please reference this thread.

-Lisa
    Last edited by lisa_w; 11-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.

I sent the email containing everything.

I also tried changing ownership of everything to be me and still gives the same message.

Default Fixed

Ok, my problem was that something else was using port 1935 already.
    Using lsof -i -P | grep LISTEN
    I was able to see something else listening on that port even when wowza wasn't running.
    I also used telnet localhost 1935 to show that something was accepting connections.
    In addition, http://localhost:1935 never would respond.

Digging around I found that the nefarious app was something from MLB.TV called NexDef. Looking in my Activity Monitor it was gobbling up resources. It must have installed when I was trying it out earlier this year.

Here's how to uninstall it:
    Mac OSX:
    1. Go to your account's user folder
    2. From your user folder go in to the Library folder, then the Application Support folder, and finally the Swarmcast folder.
    3. In the Swarmcast folder, double click on "UninstallAutobahn.command"
    4. A Terminal window will open and complete the uninstall process.

Once I did that the app was no longer running and nothing was using port 1935.
    I was able to start wowza and hit http://localhost:1935 to return version info. After that I tried the streaming video example and it worked fine.

Hope this helps someone else out.

I had the same problem as andywinn having installed some flavor of the MLB app earlier this year. Might be a good idea to post his solution on your troubleshooting page as it's not immediately obvious that the "vod application is undefined" error can be caused by another service using port 1935. Thanks to andywinn for posting your fix.

A defect was logged against the sample player after andywinn's case. I added this scenario to the list of logging messages.

-Lisa