Thread: Simulate frame-by-frame (for HLS players that don't support it natively)

Default Simulate frame-by-frame (for HLS players that don't support it natively)

Hi,

We're serving content only to QuickTime Player (RTP/RTSP) and to iOS devices (HLS). Everything's hunky-dory and we've tweaked our compression settings well.

Readers may know that QT supports native frame-by-frame, which is incredibly handy for this client (it is in fact the reason that QT is the preferred target). On the other hand, HTTP Live Streaming in native iOS player does not support frame advance/setting rate.

We've already told the client not to expect frame-by-frame on iOS, making those "preview devices" that can't do the heavy lifting. So I'm ready to hear a hard "no"...

... but I'm wondering if there's some Wowza-side way to deliberately create a slowed-down version. This would be a separate stream that they would click that would always go out at a fixed maximum speed (say, 1fps on a 29.97 original encoding).

Does anybody have any thoughts about this?

[Add'l Note: Javascript timer solutions don't work, been there all night!]

We do not have a way to do this.

Charlie

Thanks for responding. FYI, I have since found out that QuickTime embedded player once had a "bandwidth choke" setting, which is exactly what I would have needed, but it has been removed at some point.