Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about Licence, AddOn, ...

Default Some questions about Licence, AddOn, ...

Hi,

I need advice with licensing.
    My company plan to use Wowza to stream video on iOS and Android devices.

In the examples of the developer license, it was enough to put a video in a directory (content) in order to view the video directly on all devices.
    I would like to continue on this simplicity.

I am interested in an unlimited license.

My questions:
    - Can I only take a Single Server License ($ 995) to do so ?
    - There will be two servers (test and production), do I need to take two licenses?

Regards

Aleanar

Nobody can help me ?

Hello Aleanar,

A single server license is unlimited. So, it should work for you.

You can test on your local machine with the developer license and then use the full license on your production machine.

I already tested Wowza with developer license.
    Hence the "In the examples of the developer license, It Was Enough to put a video in a directory (content) in order to view the video Directly on all devices."

But if I understand correctly, the developer license includes all AddOn , right?

Yes, Wowza Media Server 3 Developer license includes the premium AddOns. There ae certain limitations associated with this license - please see http://www.wowza.com/developer.html for list of AddOn limits.

To conclude :
    If I order an unlimited license without any AddOn, I would be able to make VOD on iOs (with multiple BANDWIDTH) and android by simply putting the video in a folder, right?
    If I would to re-encode videos, do I need any AddOn ?

Thanks

No one can answer me ?!

I think you have it figured out, Aleanar.

If you are not going to be doing live stream transcoding, then you do not need the Transcoder addon.

So, I think the answer to your first question is, yes. For an example of how to do this for different devices see the "Adaptive Bitrate Streaming" section of the VOD Tutorial.
    Last edited by randall; 12-01-2011 at 10:31 AM.

I just saw that the monthly solution is described as the best option, why?
    The "Perpetual License" is ideal for "Any non-service provider use", but with my use case (that is described above) I would provide a service, right?

In any case, if I have a test and a production server, I have to buy two license ?

Thanks again

Perpetual license is generally for companies running a single server in-house. The subscription license allows for adding additional servers on a temporary (or full-time) basis and only get billed for the additional servers when you actually use them. For example, in your case, you could have a subscription license for your production server, and then use the same license key when you launch your test server - in months that you use the test server, you get billed for the additional instance, and in months where you don't use it, you only get billed for the first instance. Similarly, if you find yourself having to add a bunch of servers for a short period of time, you don't have to go out and get individual perpetual licenses for those. If you have server you're likely to use for less than 10 days in a given month, you may also want to consider the daily license which only bills you for instances for the number of days you use them (but if you use more than 10 days in a month, you're better off with a monthly subscription license)

-Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast