Thread: Live streaming question

Default Live streaming question

My company currently uses a pair of encoders and a Windows Media server to stream 4 live TV channels over our local network.. We would like to get rid of the Windows media server and use Wowza so that we can stream to something other than a windows PC.. My question is, can Wowza accomplish this, and if so, where would I go to configure the URLs of the streams out of the encoders? Would this setup be considered a repeater?

My goal is to leave the encoder, hit the Wowza server, then out to the endpoints..

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Delian 13,

Part of the answer will depend on what kind of encoders you are using. Are you using Windows Media Encoder, or something else?

-Chris

We are using Niagra Pro encoders.. They are currently sending out a Windows Media Encoder stream, but are capable of sending an H.264 stream as well..

Great, that helps. Just for clarity, are you using Niagara Pro II, or the original Niagara Pro? Also, which clients are you targeting? Silverlight, Flash, iOS, other?

-Chris

They are standard Niagra Pros.. We are wanting to stream anything we can.. We have people using PCs to connect, as well as Android and iOS devices.. We would also like to, if possible, stream to our Cisco DMPs, which need an mpeg2TS..

We've got 2 perpetual licenses now for Wowze 3.0.. Do we need to look at the Transcoder add on, too?

Thanks for the additional information, Aaron. It's great that you already have Wowza 3 running. Yes, you should be able to deliver to all of those clients from Wowza 3.

If you are delivering the a single-bit-rate stream at the same bitrate to all devices, you will not need the Transcoder AddOn. However, if you want to deliver single-bit-rate streams at different bitrates (e.g., deliver a lower bit rate stream to mobile devices) or multiple-bit-rate streams (adaptive streaming), then you would need the Transcoder AddOn.

Unless you are delivering content to Wowza edge servers, you would not need to set this up in a repeater configuration. Regarding the configuration of the encoder URLs, I'm not quite clear on the question. Could you elaborate a bit?

-Chris

I guess my question is, how do I point the Wowza application up to pull from the Niagra pro and stream to our devices? I've read the docs on live streaming, and I don't see anything in there about where to specify the source IP/port number of the stream.. Or is this my inexperience with this technology showing? I must admit, I am fairly new with all of this..

I can verify that the encoder is pushing the stream out to the Wowza server.. I used this article when configuring my application.. http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....based-encoder)

It seems like I have the application set up right, because when I test it, it doesn't return an error.. But it's like there is no stream there to show..

Hi Delian,

Could you please send e-mail with a concise summary of the issue to support@wowza.com? This will allow us to help you resolve it more quickly.

-Chris