Thread: Inconsistencies between WMS v2 and v3

Default Inconsistencies between WMS v2 and v3

I regularly use an EC2 WMS instance to stream a video to visitors and allow them to use a text chat at certain dates and times (like a TV station that's on air occasionally). I start a new standard instance for each streaming session and use the startup package to configure it for my needs.
    I'm using ami-5a649833 (WMS v 2.2.4) and it works well.

I tried upgrading to WMV v3.0.3.07 (ami-93824afa), and with this version I encounter two problems. I tried using the old startup file and I tried a new v3 startup file (adjusted for my configuration), and the problems are the same both times.

The first issue is that the textchat module doesn't seem to be part of the standard EC2 configuration. The error log contains the following entry:
    loadModFunctions[textchat/_definst_]: Module class not found or could not be loaded. Check [install-dir]/conf/textchat/Application.xml to be sure all Modules/Module/Class paths are correct: name:textchat class:com.wowza.wms.plugin.textchat.ModuleTextChat
    Can you fix that or do I need to change something to have the textchat available again?

The second issue is related to streamschedule.smil.
    I use the streamscheduler and the .smil file to start the video at a certain time.
    As I start the server before the actual video is going to start, I have two entries in the streamschedule.smil, one for a fillervideo that starts immediately and a second for the actual video that starts at the intended time. Here is an example:
    <smil>
    	<head>
    	</head>
    	<body>

<stream name="video"></stream>

<playlist name="pl1" playOnStream="video" repeat="true" scheduled="2011-12-03 00:00:00">
    			<video src="mp4:fillervideo.mp4" start="0" length="-1"/>
    		</playlist>
    		<playlist name="pl2" playOnStream="video" repeat="false" scheduled="2011-12-03 13:20:00">
    			<video src="mp4:actualvideo.mp4" start="0" length="-1"/>
    		</playlist>

</body>
    </smil>
    I accidentally discovered that I could specify a non-existent video for the filler video. In that case the player just sat there with a black screen with the little circle rotating in it, and the actual video would start playing at the time scheduled for it.
    This was an ideal behavior for my purposes.
    If I didn't specify a filler video the actual video wouldn't start automatically.
    If I used a real filler video, it was very challenging to give it exactly the same encoding attributes, and if there were differences, the actual video would not start automatically any more. And the filler video would use bandwidth for nothing.

With WMS v3 the behavior is different. When I specify a non-existent fillervideo, the server switches to the actualvideo immediately and starts to play it, without waiting for the scheduled time.
    Could you reinstate the old behavior? If you don't want to do that for any reason, could you at least make the old behavior available through a configuration option?

Thanks!

If you are using a startup package you have to add textchat application. Or you can install by running /home/wowza/examples/TextChat/install.sh

On the 2nd problem, there is no change in Wowza or the scheduler that would account for that. Please double check everything.

Richard

Thanks for the response, Richard.

I do have the textchat application in my startup package, both under applications and under conf.
    And as I said, it works with the v2.2.4 server.
    I noticed that your default startup package for v3 doesn't contain the textchat application any more. Could it be that you also removed the textchat module from the default server code that you use on EC2? Because the error message stated that the module couldn't be found or loaded.

As to the 2nd problem, I did check what I could.
    - I tried it with the older plugin collection that I was using for v2 (wms-plugin-collection.jar from 5/23/2011)
    - I tried it with the newest plugin collection (wms-plugin-collection.jar from 11/4/2011)
    - I used the same streamschedule.smil file both for v2.2.4 and v3.0.3.07
    - With both versions the actual video does play, it just plays at different times.
    - v2.2.4 has a bunch of INFO and WARN messages in the access and error log about not being able to find the (fillervideo) stream. It outputs them until the start time of the actual video.
    - v3.0.3.07 doesn't have any of these warnings and just switches to the second video and starts playing it.

Could the changed behavior be a side effect of some other change that you are not aware of?

I don't know what else I could check.

Thanks!

Startup packages don't work any differently in Wowza 3. You must have a problem with textchat application, a typo maybe. it is case sensitive.

The scheduler doesn't work any differently in Wowza 3 either. It might work differently in different versions of the collection.

Richard

I am not able to find anything wrong with my configuration.
    The application and the conf directories exist, both with the correct spelling ("textchat").
    The error message (see my first post) indicates that the module com.wowza.wms.plugin.textchat.ModuleTextChat can't be found.

So I started an EC2 instance of 2.2.4 and 3.0.3 and looked at the standard installation.
    For 2.2.4, the lib directory contains the wms-plugin-textchat.jar, which has the required module.
    In the 3.0.3 lib directory, this file is missing.
    So there is a change in your standard EC2 installation between the two versions.

My question now is whether the change was intended or an oversight. In other words, will I need to install the textchat module when I start a server or will you put it back into the standard install?

Also, I tried the scheduler with the old version of the collection that I am using successfully with 2.2.4, and with the newer version of the collection. The behavior of v3.0.3 is the same in both cases (= start playing immediately if the previous video in streamschedule.smil can't be found).

I don't know how I could impact this behavior, so it really looks to me as if this changed between the two versions.

I am aware that all of you are probably very busy, but I hope someone could try and verify it some time.
    It's not an urgent issue as v2.2.4 is still available (and I hope will be for much longer).

Thanks!

We removed the textchat module from the standard Wowza Server 3 AMI install. We did this because we removed the textchat application from the default Wowza Server 3 startup package. You can certainly easily add both back in using your own custom startup package. The textchat module is in the examples/TextChat folder of a Wowza Server 3 install. Nothing has changed with this module since Wowza Server 2.

Charlie

Charlie, thanks for the explanation.

Is there also an explanation for the change in the streamschedule.smil behavior that I described above and a recommendation for how to address that?

Thanks!