Thread: Transcoder crash with Linux (Debian or Ubuntu) with i5-2500 and C7Q67 Areca mobo

Default Transcoder crash with Linux (Debian or Ubuntu) with i5-2500 and C7Q67 Areca mobo

Hi,

I've made many tests for the last 10 days to get transcoding to work on the hardware we bought for this purpose.

The input stream is a multicast MPEG-TS (video is MPEG2, Audio is MPEGA). The stream is generated by VLC.

The 'production' server is an Areca C7Q67 Motherboard with a i5-2500 Intel processor (in compliance with the hardware acceleration specifications from Wowza for Windows, even if we plan to use Linux).
    But we need to run Linux on this server. I've tried Debian 6 and Ubuntu 10.04 (64bits, of course) with Sun's jre 1.6.

The problem is that java crashes (sigsegv) immediately when transcoding starts.

I used the very same boot/system/data disk on another hardware (an old Dell dimension 5150 desktop) and transcoding works great (with both Debian 6 and Ubuntu 10.04).
    In the test on the Dell Dimension, the only difference with the production server is the mobo/proc combination.

I also installed Wowza on a Dell R310 server (Ubuntu) and transcoding works great on it too.

I installed Wowza on Windows 7 on this machine and transcoding works perfectly.

So, it seems that transcoding is not working on some hardware platforms with linuxes (at least Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian 6).

So it seems that I need to change either the mobo or the processor on our production server to get it to work correctly.

If you have the same problem, please tell me with which harware...
    If your transcoder works nicely (with Debian or Ubuntu), please tell me more about your hardware platform (mobo and proc, so I can guess if it is a mobo chipset or processor related problem).

Thanks and have a nice day,
    Kamlro

By 'I installed Wowza on Windows 7 on this machine and transcoding works perfectly', I mean the production server (with i5-2500 and C7Q67) transcodes ok with Windows 7.

Right, not all Linux distros will work. There is a support ticket from you on this subject too that Andrew is helping with. We know some that do work from experience, but do not have a comprehensive list of what does not work.

Richard

Thanks Richard.

I would rather say that some hardware will not work with certain distros. As I tested that the distros I'm having problem with are working perfectly on other hardware...

I'm especially interested in knowing which hardware component is creating the issue.
    Andrew told me that he has a working config that includes a i7-2600K proc (on a different Mobo). I'd love to hear that someone has a working Linux config with my proc or my mobo : I would change the other component...

Kamlro