Thread: How long before playback is possible?

Default How long before playback is possible?

Hi, If I record a program that is currently airing and then attempt to play it back immediately (before the recording is completed), there is often a stream not found (2032 error) seen on Strobe player. Is there a way to check to ensure that the stream is actually playable before loading the player and throwing a 2032 error? It would be nice if the recording API itself could be used to store at "playable" status in a database. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cnfcnf View Post
    Hi, If I record a program that is currently airing and then attempt to play it back immediately (before the recording is completed), there is often a stream not found (2032 error) seen on Strobe player. Is there a way to check to ensure that the stream is actually playable before loading the player and throwing a 2032 error? It would be nice if the recording API itself could be used to store at "playable" status in a database. Thanks!
    The recording should be playable once there are 3 chunks of DVR content stored. The chunk sizes are determined by the video keyframe sizes.
    Wowza will defer the request and try and wait for this condition to be met.
    However, the timeout value for this is 8000 ms, so if 8 seconds passes before 3 chunks are available, the request times out, the player gets a 2032 error and you'll see this in your logs:

WARN server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterSanJoseStreamer.service: Request timeout: 8000

I would increase the property "requestTimeout" from 8000 to 3 x (typical video keyframe size) plus a little.

There is no direct API call into the store that its playable. Although I'll consider adding it.

You could use the manifest to query the number of live entries in the manifest and make sure it is greater than 1. (Live entries are different than recorded entries. Recorded means everything that is recorded. Live means everything recorded minus the extra chunks the players we have stored past the current 'live point')

This snippet should be combinable with the DVR HTTP Recording API example (http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-Recording-API) without too much trouble.

IDvrStreamStore store = ;  // we have this.  See HTTP DVR Recording API
    IDvrManifest manifest = store.getManifest();

DvrChannelManifest videoManifest = manifest.getManifestChannel(IVHost.CONTENTTYPE_VIDEO);
    int num = videoManifest.getNumberLiveEntries(0);
    if (num > 0) {
       System.out.println("Ready to play");
    }