Thread: Recommended architecture for nDVR

Default Recommended architecture for nDVR

I am wondering whats the best way to scale the nDVR on Amazon. I understand the other discussions do not apply to the nDVR. Give that there are 2 types of programs - those (a) where recording has been completed and (b) those that are still being recorded. Am I correct to understand that (a) is best done from S3? What is the best way to scale (b)? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cnfcnf View Post
    I am wondering whats the best way to scale the nDVR on Amazon. I understand the other discussions do not apply to the nDVR. Give that there are 2 types of programs - those (a) where recording has been completed and (b) those that are still being recorded. Am I correct to understand that (a) is best done from S3? What is the best way to scale (b)? Thanks!
    First, we have not done benchmarking of specific architectures on Amazon. So this is based on my opinion based on what is going on underneath. I also am not and EC2 or S3 expert, but I know a bit about the nDVR in Wowza.

So regarding a)
    I think in another thread someone recommended pushing the DVR recordings to the S3 server. I disagree with this. I think this is a fine solution for a (single file) recorded VOD assets. In fact some people are using the live stream record option in parallel with DVR so they end up with a single VOD recording of the session.

But the DVR recordings are a series of files stored on the disk, that need to be injested into Wowza in order to be streamed back out. It's very file i/o bound. So putting another file transfer from S3 to the EC2 Wowza server would IMO add additional overhead that would probably not scale well.

So I would keep my DVR recordings on my EC2 instance with my Wowza server.

Regarding b)
    I would scale my front end connections using origin-edge (i.e. livestreamrepeater)
    If I had many DVR recordings, I would slice across applications. Run applications a,b,c on server1, d,e,f an server 2.

Of course, I would make sure I had to scale first! It's really going to be a matter of how much recording, how many connections, etc.