Thread: Smooth Streaming OD are not CDN cachable because of the sessionID (timeout)

Default Smooth Streaming OD are not CDN cachable because of the sessionID (timeout)

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was any way to make sure that the Smooth Streaming On Demand Content could be cachable via a standard HTTP Pull mechanism from the CDN?

Right now, we are getting a 404 status code as soon as we began to request the Smooth Chunks. The manifest and the ClientPolixy.xml are well received (200), but the chunks are not.

Any ideas of what could be done to prevent that and to make sure that the content is cachable?

Is there any best practices that you recommend to do so?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,

This is not supported in Wowza at present. It is not impossible, but the CDN would have to implement something on their side.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

So if I understand you correctly, there's no way to eliminate the WowzaSessions?

If we remove the WowzaSessions part within the Chunks URL, would that work? or do we absolutely need it?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,

I guess you could grab chunks and write a playlist without wowzasessionid for your own purposes, but it is not supported in Wowza.

Richard

Default WowzaSession = 100% Cache Busting

Given the prevalence (growing rapidly) of shared caches (ISP, mobile, corporate, CDN), I am very surprised at this URL structure. It's essentially hard-coded, non-removable, cache-busting. Is there at least a way to move the WowzaSession into a query parameter?

Best Regards,

Jason Hofmann
    Last edited by JasonHofmann; 12-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Jason,

Support for this is being considered for a future version of Wowza 3. I don't have a time frame for that.

Richard