Wowza Community

Wowza logs for sawmill

Hello,

I just installed wowza 3.0.3. We are using sawmill to harvest wowza logs for reporting. And we have many clients that use our service. Therefore, we had been using corresponding applications in wowza server. For sawmill, we use x-app to differentiate between different applications. But on this link https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-sawmill-to-analyze-wowza-media-server-logs it tells us to use stats file instead. I am using access file because it has x-app field on it.

Please advise on best course.

Thanks,

Ashish

Is there a way to add x-app field in the stats log. Can I just add the field in a line in log4j.properties:

In Statistics appender can I just change the following line:

log4j.appender.serverStats.layout.Fields=x-severity,x-category,x-event;date,time,c-client-id,c-ip,c-port,cs-bytes,sc-bytes,x-duration,x-sname,x-stream-id,x-spos,sc-stream-bytes,cs-stream-bytes,x-file-size,x-file-length,x-ctx,x-comment

TO

log4j.appender.serverStats.layout.Fields=x-app,x-severity,x-category,x-event;date,time,c-client-id,c-ip,c-port,cs-bytes,sc-bytes,x-duration,x-sname,x-stream-id,x-spos,sc-stream-bytes,cs-stream-bytes,x-file-size,x-file-length,x-ctx,x-comment

?

Yes, just add fields as required then restart Wowza

Richard

You added to serverStats appender, are you using serverAccess appender?

Richard

Thanks Richard. The Application field is not visible in sawmill. I added x-app in log4j.properties and restarted wowza 3. Is there anything that I should be doing regarding this?

I am trying to use serverStats appender. My Sawmill version is 8.1.5. I had been using serverAccess apender before. But I think this could be sawmill related issue. They have 8.5.1 version out. What do you think?

Ashish

when I used the access log, I could see the Application field in Sawmill. But I did not see the Application field when I used Statistics log even though the statistics log has x-app field written in the logs.I could keep on using the Access log but in wowza website, it was mentioned that statistics be used for sawmill: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-sawmill-to-analyze-wowza-media-server-logs

Please advise.

Yury, just sent you an email for more information…

Regards.

Hi

If the access log gives you all the information you need for Sawmill to work then keep using the access log.

Jason

Hi,

You can also trying different approach. You can use WMSPanel to have centralized reports solution that does not use logs processing.

It’s just a Wowza agent which sends required stats to a web-server where a company representatives may see their reports. You can try it and see if it solves your problems.