Thread: help with VOD across multiple devices

Cool help with VOD across multiple devices

Hi guys,

Wowza is awesome. I have it running on my server with multi-bitrate Flash video. Now I want to do the same thing for iphone, android, and other supported formats since this is one of Wowzas strongest points.

Are different devices autodetected... or do I have to put buttons all over my page like "If you have an iphone, press here to play"..."If you have an android, press here...". What's the best way to set this up? I'm using playlists, is this something I put in the playlist?

Also, I tried out the encoding.com site and it looks pretty good, but if I use the Wowza Mult-bitrate setting you've put up there, what devices are going to work with those settings?

Thanks as always, I'm learning a lot and it's very exciting.
    triple

Hi
    I think all you need is listed here,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....on-demand-file

Adaptive Bitrate Streaming is mentioned about half way down the page but try reading it all as its very useful to know and covers the play-listing questions

Jason

Thanks for the links Jason,

That's the same documentation I used to set up Flash. I have Flash working with playlists and adaptive bitrate. I still don't have an answer to the questions above though.

Any more specific advise?

Thx.

Hi
    You have to put different links up on the website for the different devices.
    That's the best way to set it up for multiple devices.

Jason

Got it! Makes sense... any ideas about my second question...

Enconding.coms "Wowza Multi-bitrate" setting... what devices is that meant for?
    Last edited by tripleaaadelay; 12-09-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Hi
    If you are streaming to an iOS device the device will choose the best stream it can play out of the bitrate options it has, so it would be the same link because they play the same type of stream but the iPad would choose the better resolution (higher bitrate) stream than say an iPhone or iPod touch (assuming bandwidth is available)

That is the multi bitrate settings in action, and that applies for all types of streams that have multi bitrate.

Jason

Thanks for clarifying Jason!